heart rate monitor, is it really necessary ?

Options
I've been on myfitnesspal for over three weeks now and I have lost almost 6 pounds by running 5 days a week on the treadmill and monitoring my food! I downloaded this morning endomondo to calculate my calories and something seems to be off...When I run 45 min on the treadmill it says on it that i lost 450 calories and just ran for 30 min outside with the app and told me I lost 900 calories ! something is not right.

I did some research and apparently a heart rate monitor increases the accuracy on the calories burned. I am thinking of buying the Polar heart rate monitor but before I do I wanted your opinion.
1. Does it really increase the accuracy ?
2. How to use the heart rate monitor with the app when I am running on the treadmill

Replies

• dannyfayne
    dannyfayne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar HRM and started using Endumundo this weekend. It does use the HR info to calculate calorie count but it still seems very inaccurate. The calorie burn is significantly higher that what you would see on a gym treadmill or on another app like Runkeeper without a HRM. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that is more realistic that also uses HR data?