Healthier Christmas Goodies

mszSHOGAN
mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,277 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I typically bake a variety of cookies and package them up nicely as my gift for family and friends each year for Christmas. This year I'd like to go in a healthier direction. I mean, it's kind of hypocritical to give someone something that I wouldn't want them to give me. And why not show my loved ones that eating healthier isn't all that bad? I also don't need the tempation of mass quantities of cookies in my house! :laugh:

I've found lots of healthier versions of cookies/goodies online but without making and trying them all I'm not sure how good they'll actually be. Let's admit it - not all "healthier" foods taste like something someone would want to receive as a gift! :noway:

Anyone have any "to die for" goodie recipes? Any other ideas of how to make my gifts healthier? The floor is yours.....

Replies

• sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Make some nice chutneys... though of course you do think of cheese then... ;o)
  • I am looking for some ideas myself. My 5 year old daughter loves to bake but I need some healthy ideas that we can make.
  • use a sugar sub in your cookies like splenda or stevia in the raw. cuts down the sugar and the calories quite a bit. not super healthy still but they will be healthier!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    First off, don't substitute ingredients. Things you can sub, like margarine for butter and artificial sweeteners for sugar, won't make them healthier. In fact, the hydrogenated oils in margarine and chemicals in artificial sweeteners are worse. In many recipes you can cut the sugar by almost half and things will still taste fine. Opting for slightly healthier cookies, like oatmeal (I add dried cranberries and almonds), is a good choice.

But I'm still making all the same things I normally make. In fact, this year I'm trying out new candy recipes. Everyone knows I'm trying to lose weight but they also know I enjoy treats in moderation. Having sweets in the house isn't a big temptation for me, I have one when I want one and have the calories for it. So I don't feel hypocritical. Besides, won't your friends and family enjoy them? I don't give presents I'd like to have, I give presents I know the other person wants to have.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    I was thinking Chex mix or some kind of spiced almonds. Both pretty healthy. Buy the packs at Costco to keep down the cost.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,277 Member
    Yea, I wasn't really looking to just substitute ingredients - I've noticed that not only is it an unhealthy alternative but some things just don't taste right that way.

I like the chex mix or spiced almonds idea! Something different like that might be what I'll do! :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback!
  • First off, don't substitute ingredients. Things you can sub, like margarine for butter and artificial sweeteners for sugar, won't make them healthier. In fact, the hydrogenated oils in margarine and chemicals in artificial sweeteners are worse.

one of my suggestions there has no chemicals in it. and there are margarines with no hydrogenated oils in them. look stuff up before you dis them all :)
  • I use substitutes and everything turns out just fine.

I'm going to make normal goodies for Christmas because it IS Christmas. However, there are some healthier cupcake recipes around here that may be a good alternative instead of cookies. That being said, nothing will replace the homemade chocolate chip cookies and rice krispie treats my mom and I made every holiday season. It's totally worth it to make the memory. You just have to understand that moderation is still in play and/or accept the consequences of eating like a treat-a-holic. :)
  • I use substitutes and everything turns out just fine.

I'm going to make normal goodies for Christmas because it IS Christmas. However, there are some healthier cupcake recipes around here that may be a good alternative instead of cookies. That being said, nothing will replace the homemade chocolate chip cookies and rice krispie treats my mom and I made every holiday season. It's totally worth it to make the memory. You just have to understand that moderation is still in play and/or accept the consequences of eating like a treat-a-holic. :)

here here! i'm with you on this, i may use stevia in some of the cookies i make but the things that you cant really sub anything for i'm not worrying about. just adding extra exercise on if i eat them. :smile:
  • I like the chex mix or spiced almonds idea! Something different like that might be what I'll do! :wink:

you can probably make the chex mix 1) more delicious and 2) better for you (and whoever is recieving your food gifts!) if you make it yourself! its not hard just a little time consuming. the stuff in bags generally has MSG in it or just a TON of sodium. besides i've ALWAYS prefered the taste of the homemade kind :)
This discussion has been closed.