Quinoa vs Bread

Options
So I've been trying to cut back on bread for the past several weeks. I've been doing fairly well so far, but breakfast is proving to be a challenge. I used to eat two pieces of whole grain bread topped with about a tablespoon and a half of peanut butter between the two (approx. 330cal, 14g protein, 37 carbs). I've recently been doing tofu scramble, but that's getting old, so I'm looking into doing quinoa porridge perhaps. The simple quinoa porridge recipes (like allrecipes.com, and using almond milk) clock in at 346cal, 8.6g protein, and 62.6 carbs for 2/3 cup. It seems to me that the bread is a lot more calorie efficient nutritionally than the quinoa. I was pretty surprised to see this, and am now thinking I should just stick with the bread. I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    compare grain to grain without the peanut butter.that should clear it up for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Or do the math with peanut butter and quinoa.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    So.. it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to get rid of bread or are you trying to cut carbs? And are you taking other things like nutrient density, fiber, satiety, etc., into account. I guess I'm asking for you to clarify what it is you are hoping to accomplish?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for the bread and peanut butter any day--sounds better than quinoa porridge :wink:

My favorite bread is 9-grain sprouted bread from Trader Joe's. Only 60 calories a slice and two slices provide 10g protein. I typically only eat that as my bread for the day, when I do indulge in a bread choice. If you're gonna have a little bread, make it the good tasting stuff!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So.. it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to get rid of bread or are you trying to cut carbs? And are you taking other things like nutrient density, fiber, satiety, etc., into account. I guess I'm asking for you to clarify what it is you are hoping to accomplish?

Exacly this. Do you have any sound reasoning behind wanting to cut out bread, or is it more of just a random shot in the dark?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Bit of a fiasco if he was in any way trying to cut carbs....
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Bit of a fiasco if he was in any way trying to cut carbs....

Exactly my thoughts.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. There are other factors to consider beyond counting carbs.
    Think about satisfaction level and staying power. Also consider whether or not eating bread first thing in the morning makes you want to eat more bread or other starchier foods later in the day. I know it does for me. Minimally processed foods like oatmeal and quinoa however, don't pull that kind of trigger.

Also, if you are just bored and want something tasty, try this :

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/warm-and-nutty-cinnamon-quinoa-recipe.html

I use maple syrup instead of agave, but i reduce it or skip it altogether if the berries are fresh and sweet enough. I also sometimes add a beaten egg towards the very end of cooking and that gives it a thicker, richer texture while adding extra protein.
    I usually break this into 3 servings instead of 4

With 2 tbl maple syrup + one egg
    Calories 301. Fat 13 g. Carbs 38 g. Fiber 8 g. Protein 11 g.