igh protein, not enough fat?

Options
I am doing a high protein diet well it's probably not that high but it's difficult to achieve and since I've started this I've not gotten half the fat mfp macro says, I have nothing against fat nor make low fat choices so how do I get more fat in while also keeping up high protein? For example the chicken breast I had for supper was 130 calories, 28 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat :( it was yummy though :laugh:

Is not getting enough fat bad for you anyways?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add avocados, nuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, butter, oils, full fat yogurt , . . . .
  • ALittleHazey
    Options
    Many of the essential vitamins and minerals aren't water soluble, this means if you aren't getting enough fat with your meals you aren't getting all of the nutrition from those meals.

A no fat diet would kill you, but low fat diets are perfectly fine, im often well under MFP suggested intake.
    Just try to get at least a little fat with every meal and you shouldn't have trouble.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Duck, steaks, bacon, saussages...!
    Hmmmmm, bacon - bacon and steak - bacon steak and saussages... hmmmm getting horngry!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The easiest way would be to either cook it in a little oil or butter or dress it with the same. I'm a big fan of the Kraft Olive Oil Mayo. I love real mayo, but this lighter version is just a bit more kick. I love it on chicken or potatoes! You could even add in some garlic and chives and BAM. Great on chicken. Add some avocado on the side of your meals. Have some nuts for snack. Full fat cheese. Lots of easy ways to get it in there if you just take the time to add them in. They are calorie dense, but a little goes a long way!
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I aw low(er)-carbing and I eat lots of eggs and cheese because they are cheap. They provide enough fat.
  • andreakurylo
    andreakurylo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am doing a high protein diet well it's probably not that high but it's difficult to achieve and since I've started this I've not gotten half the fat mfp macro says, I have nothing against fat nor make low fat choices so how do I get more fat in while also keeping up high protein? For example the chicken breast I had for supper was 130 calories, 28 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat :( it was yummy though :laugh:

Is not getting enough fat bad for you anyways?

Here's a direct quote of why u need some fat....

"Triglycerides, cholesterol and other essential fatty acids—the scientific term for fats the body can't make on its own—store energy, insulate us and protect our vital organs. They act as messengers, helping proteins do their jobs. They also start chemical reactions that help control growth, immune function, reproduction and other aspects of basic metabolism.
    The cycle of making, breaking, storing and mobilizing fats is at the core of how humans and all animals regulate their energy. An imbalance in any step can result in disease, including heart disease and diabetes. For instance, having too many triglycerides in our bloodstream raises our risk of clogged arteries, which can lead to heart attack and stroke.
    Fats help the body stockpile certain nutrients as well. The so-called "fat-soluble" vitamins—A, D, E and K—are stored in the liver and in fatty tissues.
    Knowing that fats play such an important role in many basic functions in the body, researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health study them in humans and other organisms to learn more about normal and abnormal biology.
    Despite fat's importance, no one yet understands exactly how humans store it and call it into action. In search of insight, Oklahoma State University biochemist Estela Arrese studies triglyceride metabolism in unexpected places: silkworms, fruit flies, and mosquitoes.
    The main type of fat we consume, triglycerides are especially suited for energy storage because they pack more than twice as much energy as carbohydrates or proteins.
    Once triglycerides have been broken down during digestion, they are shipped out to cells through the bloodstream. Some of the fat gets used for energy right away. The rest is stored inside cells in blobs called lipid droplets. When we need extra energy—for instance, when we run a marathon—our bodies use enzymes called lipases to break down the stored triglycerides. The cell's power plants, mitochondria, can then create more of the body's main energy source: adenosine triphosphate, or ATP."
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Cheese, bacon, cooking fats, good quality olive oil for drizzling, salad dressings and an occasional fatty piece of meat is how i get my fat in.