Breakfast - high in protein, low in carbs

Options
Hello all. I tried last week to up my protein in the morning and I was having 0% fat greek yogurt with honey, nuts and blueberries. However, by the end of the week I was bored rigid of it. Does any one have any ideas for other breakfasts that do not contain eggs as I am not a fan of eating them first thing in the morning and I would struggle to cook them before I left for work? TIA

Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is:

20g of Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate Protein Powder mixed with
    100g of 2% greek yogurt
    and then I add oats or nuts or 25g of a protein cereal I found here in the store. :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    eggs, bacon, bacon and eggs.... :drinker:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Leftover meat on low carb wrap,egg sandwich.....using egg white,small amt of meat on low carb bread or English muffin,hard boiled eggs,lots of melon. Canned chicken or tuna added to Roasted/grilled veggie salad ..........you could also Google for ideas.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    Oatcakes with peanut butter!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    smoothies made with protein powder and fruits etc.

greek yogurt (although I don't like it for breaky)

Theres something called "ful" (pronounced "fool") sold here that is made with cheese, beans, lentils, falafel, spices and all the good stuff. Super tasty and while a bit heavy, its low in calories (for me at least). Go to an arabic store and ask for "ful mudammas" and look up recipes for "Sudanese style ful". It would take some practice to make decent ful but the potential is there.

Do you just hate eggs or particular type of prepared eggs? I fry up some tomatoes in oil and when the water is almost all gone, add beaten eggs and then put it in between good bread with hot sauce, pepper, and cheese. I add some other veggie while cooking too and make it an omelette sometimes.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to cook then that limits it to pretty much yogurt, protein powder, and tofu. Otherwise, eggs, egg whites, fish, chicken, beef, and pork are all available. Fish, miso soup, and a small bowl of rice make a great breakfast.
  • Emmal2387
    Emmal2387 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas. Looks like I need to get out of bed half an hour earlier then lol. If I was to have eggs for breakfast what could I have as a side to them? I only really like scrambled or poached eggs.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas. Looks like I need to get out of bed half an hour earlier then lol. If I was to have eggs for breakfast what could I have as a side to them? I only really like scrambled or poached eggs.

toast? Or you can put it on top of a patty of potatoes (think burger patty, except made with mashed potatoes along with cheese and some onions and jalapeno etc. and then lightly fried) or even some hash browns? You can have it with some guacamole or tomatoes too.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    eggs, bacon, bacon and eggs.... :drinker:

Yep!
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I have an electric skillet/griddle which is one of the best things I've ever bought - I just pull it out, set it to highest temp (40 degrees) and it heats up in about 90 seconds. I throw a couple of bacon slices on and they take about 2 minutes each side, then add 2 eggs and they take about 2 minutes each side... I eat it all on toast or tortilla. 30g protein breakfast in less than 10 minutes. I LOVE my griddle.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A cuisinart egg central makes poached eggs very quickly with minimal cleanup. Costs around $19.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lZbi-tJRb78

Hormel precooked bacon 72 slices for $11 from SAMs club. Nuke for 20 sec in micro in folded paper towel.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why low carb? Do you have a condition diagnosed from a doctor that forces you to be carb free or low carb?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oats
    Fruit
    Toast
    Bagels
    Perhaps switch up the yogurt flavors.
    Perhaps add some meat (breakfast sausage, bacon, ect)

I am pretty big on eating a half bagel with peanut butter and sometimes sliced banana on top, add some lowfat milk and you got 20-ish grams of protein.

Also, try not to eat the same things for breakfast every day. That way you tend not to get sick of certain foods.

I have been mixing Glory Greens - collard greens into my eggs, but scrambled eggs are great with onions, tomatoes, and peppers.

As I said above sausage or bacon can go great with eggs. But even something like pancakes are great.
  • Emmal2387
    Emmal2387 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The reason why I wanted low carbs is I am over eating carbs everyday and not getting enough protein especially as I want to start doing some strength training.

My biggest problem is lack of variety. Thank you all for the ideas though definitely something to think about.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Ooohhhh....

- There's egg whites with sausage / breakfast ham / steak.

- 2-3 Greek flavored yogurts

- Protein shakes with some fruit blended in (low carb)

- Protein pancakes made with egg whites and protein powder
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Does protein powder contain lots of sugar?
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese, it's pretty high in protein, especially at just 1/2 cup. I mix it up by adding berries or a Tbsp. of PB2.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Some do, the ****ty ones.

But reputable ones like Optimum Nutrition, Cellucor, Myofusion, Dymatize do not contain trace sugars which won't do anything.

Plus, sugar is good. Sugar doesn't effect weight loss.
  • plhv19
    plhv19 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Make an egg casserole or egg muffins and reheat throughout the week. No need to wake up early if you prepare in advance.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to cook in the morning, and I don't blame you...Precook some hardboiled eggs. You can either warm them in the morning, or eat them cold. You can also precook bacon.