Anyone lost weight by NOT counting calories?

Options

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Well I kind of still measure things but I am not counting calories, in fact I am going over calories and everything else quite a bit, but I am losing weight. I have started The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy

No wheat, dairy, caffeine, dried fruits (& more). Talk about rigid. :noway:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I did. Then gained it back, because I had to cut things to lose weight... and obviously didn't learn moderation while cutting them out.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    It is the inability of the body to completely process carbohydrates

Could also be interpreted as eating way too many carbs and sitting on your *kitten* and not moving.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    "I'll keep my processed foods, white bread, sugar, etc. I'll weigh my veggies thanks."

So let's say there is a newbie who needs to lose 50 lbs. and is eating 2,200 calories on average. He/she determines that a drastic cut to 1,400 calories is called for, which obviously cannot be easy.

And you would honestly advise that person that part of those 1,400 calories should be empty calories of sugar and white bread, which would do absolutely nothing to fill that person up? You have to be kidding me.

A calorie may just be a calorie, but satiety is even more important. If you are starving at 7PM because you've eaten junk to get you to your calorie limit, you will fail your diet miserably and never lose weight.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    "Did I say that was all I ate .. Nope and I've had no problem staying full because I include carbs, yes those evil carbs into my diet that also includes lots of protein & fat."

So let's say there is a newbie who needs to lose 50 lbs. and is eating 2,200 calories on average. He/she determines that a drastic cut to 1,400 calories is called for, which obviously cannot be easy.

And you would honestly advise that person that part of those 1,400 calories should be empty calories of sugar and white bread, which would do absolutely nothing to fill that person up? You have to be kidding me.

A calorie may just be a calorie, but satiety is even more important. If you are starving at 7PM because you've eaten junk to get you to your calorie limit, you will fail your diet miserably and never lose weight.

Yes I would give this person the advice of including carbs into their well balanced diet. How is white bread an empty calorie?

I've lost a little weight over the past 18 months and have included pasta, white bread, lots of gelato, and I bake at least once a week.

Looking at my ticker I'm glad I've failed so miserably.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    "I'll keep my processed foods, white bread, sugar, etc. I'll weigh my veggies thanks."

How do you figure that white bread is an empty calorie? :huh:

And no, it would not be difficult to include white bread and sugar into a 1,400 calorie day. You can make a sandwich for 300-400 calories easily. And have a snack cake at the end of the day.

Your argument is ridiculous.
  • cyndiee1
    cyndiee1 Posts: 24
    Options
    I never logged what I ate before and at first I lost about 10 lbs, then found that I wasn't losing any more. That is when I joined MFP to get an idea of how much I was eating. My focus is not calories, but I'm not answering this to debate what people choose to track (do what works for you). Since tracking what I eat, I've lost an additional 5 lbs and have 5 more to go. So in answer to the original question, I think if you have a lot of weight to lose, you might be able to not log/count to start, but it gets more difficult as you get closer to your goal weight and counting helps you see what you need to adjust. I think is also easy to misjudge how much you are eating if you don't log. Some people are religious about weighing every morsel that goes into their mouth. I, personally, do not have the time to do that and if it takes me a little longer to lose this last 5 lbs because I didn't weigh every oz., I can live with that.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yup
    tapeworm-diet-adbiomedical-ephemera-or--a-frog-for-your-boils
    ornamentedbeing-6lszxi2g.jpg
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Going back to the OP question -- are you picking your battles in terms of how accurate you are on the logging? On low-cal items such as veggies, I don't worry about getting it precise down to the gram. On the oil, starches, etc. I'd want to be more exacting. If you eyeball the veggies close enough, would that help make it a little less hassle?

I cook a lot, so I hear you. I'm finding MFP is easier on that front than I thought it would be.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To the OP yes I did...my first 25lbs.

Then I came here and realized that part of that 25lbs was muscle..not just fat.

Mainly because I really wasn't watching my protien, was eating probably 1200 calories a day, to the point I couldn't exercise much.

It also meant I had to cut out certian foods as well. I did this for 3 years and yo yo'd that same 25lbs for 3 years.

But by counting, even to the point of weighing veggies etc I have lost an additional 25+ lbs and maintained most of the muscle I had left. I am not weak and can push and pull and lift some damn heavy weights (for me).

Use the recipe builder or save the meal. But let's be frank here...logging homemade meals is done everyday by lots of people who don't give up because "it's too hard" or " to time consuming"
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Not kidding you at all.
    For me, having part of my diet coming from foods that are on your "empty" list makes for a sustainable way of life and maintainable weight management..

As for the OP... there are many who also just do "portion control" of anything they eat; they're in a calorie deficit, but don't actually COUNT the calories... just ingest fewer.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yup

:laugh: @ the "NO BATHS" and :sick: @ "easy to swallow"
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Says you. Bread can be quite filling..that's WHY I include carbs in general in my diet. Even "evil" white bread if that's what you like...so long as you account for the calories. I'm not going to hold myself up as a paragon of logging because I've been quite bad at it recently but I'm going to point the finger square at myself rather than a particular food type for the slowdown in loss.

And there's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation if that's what you want...tell yourself "No sugar ever again...." and you're setting yourself up to eat the whole container of cookies when the temptation is too great...instead of just allotting for the ONE cookie to take care of the craving and keeping the weight loss happening.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

How do you figure that white bread is an empty calorie? :huh:

And no, it would not be difficult to include white bread and sugar into a 1,400 calorie day. You can make a sandwich for 300-400 calories easily. And have a snack cake at the end of the day.

Your argument is ridiculous.

I eat a bagel every moring. It's yummy, and interestingly enough, it holds me over until lunchtime. Imagine that. :happy:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Yup

mmmmm... tape worm cleanse! My fav!
  • dawnyloutwo
    dawnyloutwo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When i logged the calories i found myself craving things more than ever and for the first time in my life (and I'm 40) got the urge to want to binge and purge. However doing the calorie thing meant that i did learn and have a good idea of what my favourite foods calories/values are and what works for me is simply not eating goodies and big portions and just having a little of the naughty stuff with lots of salad and healthy food. Luckily i didn't have a lot to lose but needed to retrain my sweet tooth and my lack of willpower. I'm still eating the same amount as when i logged the calories but haven't had any urges to binge so it wasn't because i was hungry, must just be a psychological want what you can't have thing!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Yup

mmmmm... tape worm cleanse! My fav!

There is a sunlight cleanse
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Generations of women have lost/maintained weight without counting calories. It does help though if you are struggling to lose despite doing all the right things (or you think so). Most often we underestimate what we eat. That's all.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat a balanced diet of all the food groups. People can individually do as they see fit, but I am not going to throw any food group out of my life. It's neither sustainable nor healthy for me. By counting calories, and by exercising regularly, I lose weight at a healthy rate of approximately a pound a week. I do weigh and measure things. It becomes second nature after about three months. Until then, just.... what can I say. Bear with it. It takes time to change habits.