Muscles sore/tired

jamiesgotagun
jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have been working out the last month really hard, the last couple days I am finding that my muscles are a little sore, but more tired than anything, like I just can't work out as hard as I have been the last couple weeks. Should I take a break or just fight through it???

Replies

• emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    If you are really sore...take a few days off from lifting weights. Your muscles need time to recover & repair!
  • similar experience i started doing c25k program which trains you 3 days a week... well i loved it so i was doing it everyday for 2 weeks... then yesterday i just felt like my legs were soooo heavey, the previous night i ran 1/2 mile straight and last night i felt like i couldn't do half that if i wanted to ... so i'm taking some advice and taking a day off running and hopefully tomorrow i'll feel back to normal... it may do some good to take a day or 2 off the heavey workouts..?
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Take a break. As a general rule a specific muscle group needs between 48 and 72 hours to recover. A really heavy session might dictate a longer recovery time. A lot depends on the quality of your diet and protein intake. Listen to your body, take a couple of days off but stay active by doing something like a gentle walk everyday as it'll help your circulation.
  • jamiesgotagun
    similar experience i started doing c25k program which trains you 3 days a week... well i loved it so i was doing it everyday for 2 weeks... then yesterday i just felt like my legs were soooo heavey, the previous night i ran 1/2 mile straight and last night i felt like i couldn't do half that if i wanted to ... so i'm taking some advice and taking a day off running and hopefully tomorrow i'll feel back to normal... it may do some good to take a day or 2 off the heavey workouts..?

That is exactly how I feel!!! It just felt so weird. Hope you feel better in a day or 2!!
  • jamiesgotagun
    Take a break. As a general rule a specific muscle group needs between 48 and 72 hours to recover. A really heavy session might dictate a longer recovery time. A lot depends on the quality of your diet and protein intake. Listen to your body, take a couple of days off but stay active by doing something like a gentle walk everyday as it'll help your circulation.

Thank you, I think that is a great idea, I will just walk tomorrow and see how I feel!! Thanks again!! :drinker:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    So I have been working out the last month really hard, the last couple days I am finding that my muscles are a little sore, but more tired than anything, like I just can't work out as hard as I have been the last couple weeks. Should I take a break or just fight through it???

Those can be signs of overtraining. That happens when you train too hard for your body to recover completely before the next workout for too long. If it is that, trying to fight through it only makes it worse and soon you'll be looking at months of rest to recover. The next symptoms would be not wanting to go to the gym, elevated resting heart rate, reduced heart rate variability, increased susceptibility to infections and injuries, irritability, etc..

I began having exactly the same feelings after about a month of especially intense workout and immediately cut back to about fourth of what I was doing, for about two weeks. Helped me and I'm back in business!

Ps.
    Here are some articles about overtraining:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisehealth/a/toomuchexercise.htm
  • jamiesgotagun

Those can be signs of overtraining. That happens when you train too hard for your body to recover completely before the next workout for too long. If it is that, trying to fight through it only makes it worse and soon you'll be looking at months of rest to recover. The next symptoms would be not wanting to go to the gym, elevated resting heart rate, reduced heart rate variability, increased susceptibility to infections and injuries, irritability, etc..

I began having exactly the same feelings after about a month of especially intense workout and immediately cut back to about fourth of what I was doing, for about two weeks. Helped me and I'm back in business!

Ps.
    Here are some articles about overtraining:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisehealth/a/toomuchexercise.htm

Awesome, Thank You!!!
This discussion has been closed.