Mexican Casserole (low carb)

Options
Cardio4Cupcakes
Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
I'm not following a keto or paleo diet, but I carb cycle. I made this last night and it's great!

4 cups cauliflower rice
1 jalapeno
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
.5 cup diced tomato
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (i used sharp cheddar)
1 bag frozen pepper and onion mix (kroger brand)
1 pound ground beef (i used 80% because poor)

Brown up the beef with the cumin and red pepper flakes, drain and set aside. Sautee frozen peppers and onions with the diced jalapeno. Make the cauliflower rice (I use a grater. Grate into a bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes. I used to roughly chop it also, it worked just the same). Mix rice, tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, beef and peppers/onions together. Stick in a 13x9 pan and top with a little extra shredded chees (optional, but I love cheese). Bake on 350 for 25-30 minutes. Serves 8.

Cals: 274, Fat: 20G, Protein: 19G, Carbs: 8G (not net-carb adjusted, net carb adjust would be 6G)

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    That's something my husband would LOVE... Thanks for sharing.
  • dvdlover
    dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    is it the instance rice or the cauliflower rice which one did u use or minute rice
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Options
    is it the instance rice or the cauliflower rice which one did u use or minute rice

I used an actual head of cauliflower. I cut off the florets and grated them down, and also grated the stalks. But if you don't have a grater, you can rough chop it all up.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing!!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I used an actual head of cauliflower. I cut off the florets and grated them down, and also grated the stalks. But if you don't have a grater, you can rough chop it all up.

So is 4 cups about 1 head or 2?
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Options

So is 4 cups about 1 head or 2?

I used 1 head. I think you could also use frozen, but I think a lot of water would cook out of it.
  • dvdlover
    dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    the reason I asked is cause they sell all 3 of em...........thanks
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Bump... Although, I'll do without the cauliflower rice and use an assortment of mixed stir fried veggies. Also, I'll swap out the frozen peppers and onions for fresh peppers and onions. ;)
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Options
    Bump... Although, I'll do without the cauliflower rice and use an assortment of mixed stir fried veggies. Also, I'll swap out the frozen peppers and onions for fresh peppers and onions. ;)

Oh yeah, for sure! The only reason I used frozen is because the peppers/ onions weren't on sale, and $4 fresh vs $1 for frozen bag...the struggle is real!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thanks,sounds good.
  • Kelly1552013
    Kelly1552013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in so I can copy later. Thanks!
  • kimby303
    kimby303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to tell you that whenever I needed to use less lean meat, in order to get rid of some of the fat, I would brown it in a skillet with some water added, so that I could pour off the water - and the grease along with it. I don't know how much this helped but every little bit...right? :)
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I love Cauliflower! I am going to make this :)
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump