Eating right at College

Arekesu
Arekesu Posts: 5
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I'm working on simply eating right at college on a 1300 calorie allowance, I don't often have time in my schedule during the school year to work out right without compromising myself. The problem starts when I enter the a-la-carte cafeteria where I take most of my meals for a quick grab-n-go. Everything is a sandwich, fried food, salty stir-fry or...salad. I'm moving around all day and the last thing I want to do is eat a salad. I like them on occasion, but most of the time I'm hungering for more than lettuce. I want something hot and good! So I go to sandwiches...or stir fry!!!
What can I do to make better choices in the cafeteria without letting my fatigue and hunger pull me towards french fries and foccacia bread?!

Low Cal
Low Carb
Full Flavor

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    I probably ate my healthiest when I had an a-la-carte cafeteria! God I miss it.

It also helped that our french fries tasted like cardboard. Gross.

Our stir fry was probably some of the healthiest food to choose from. If you get to pick what goes on it, go for veggies, no noodles, and stay away from the sugary sauces. In ours you could opt for some spicy sauce that would give it the punch of flavor without the calories. They also cooked with water and not much oil, so it was super calorie conscious!

For salads, do they have a stand for burgers and chicken sandwiches? Because I used to grab a grilled chicken breast and stick that on my salad. That was all it took to make the salad a meal.

My best advice at the cafeteria is just to watch your portions. It's cool if you pick something hot and warm as long as you get some good low-cal veggies to go with it and eat mostly the veggies. Don't feel the need to finish off whatever you were craving.

Edit - meant low cal veggies.
  • Dr. Oz's daughter Daphne wrote a book about nutrition just for college students, called The Dorm Room Diet. You can get it really cheap from Amazon... good luck, I'm sure it's a challenge when the spread of food is unlimited!
    http://www.amazon.com/Dorm-Room-Diet-Creating-Lifestyle/dp/1557046859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291152059&sr=8-1
This discussion has been closed.