Weight lifting and MFP not counting it as calories burned

Options
Why won't MFP count weight lifting as calories burned. Especially when you do different exercises in cycles and repetition, you are still burning calories doing so, right?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    most people go into cardio and log it that way.

but i would have thought doing it under 'strength' or resistance or whatever would still show calories burned. i just remember it wanted to log sets and reps... which is nice to keep track of but also time consuming
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It may be beneficial to switch to the TDEE version. It simplifies logging IMO.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    There's too many variables in strength training or weight lifting to have one generic entry for all of it. There are different programs, some people rest longer between sets, and individual strength is a factor too.

And this is just my opinion, but I am of the mind that weight lifting is for strength, not for calorie burns to increase your deficit.
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me enter it as Cardio: Circuit Training or if I'm doing more tabata stuff, you can call it Bodyweight Training. I think either way it counts the calories the same.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    "Weight lifting" is far too generic. My leg day for example would consist of me going to the gym, warming up, doing 3 heavy sets of squats, 2 heavy sets of dead lift, and a 2 optional accessory movements. No more then 13 sets total. I take long rests between the heavy compound movements (3-8 minutes). My calorie burn would be dramatically different from someone who did 25-30 sets in a circuit, all with high reps, with little to no rest between sets. They would almost be doing a strength/cardio blend. This is why I never try and figure out calories burned from exercise. I prefer to just estimate my TDEE and keep calories consistent every day.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I didn't know to log it for the longest time until someone suggested logging ❝ strength training❞ under your cardio :smile:
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I thought that was annoying, but I don't eat back exercise calories anyways so it doesn't really matter for me.