Pre-made meal service

Options
2»

Replies

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    CROCK POT

and my kids eat what I do...if they want something different, THEY buy it and make it.

Example
    Frozen chicken put it in the crockpot with taco seasoning over the top, low for the day.
    Come home shred, have the kids shred lettuce, dice tomatoes and onion...and have chicken tacos/burritos
    Then the leftovers stay in the pot for white chicken chili the next day.

My kids like my Vegan 15 bean chili, split pea soup, roast with vegies, chicken with vegies...
    Just throw the stuff in and let it go. And usually, I am throwing in frozen meat...though sometimes I am with it enough to pull it out the night before.

I have even been known to put things in the crock for overnight, so its ready in the mroning to pack for lunches. Example, chili for lunch, chili dogs for dinner or Chili for lunch, chili potatoe for dinner. I have been known to do a full 20 pounds of taco chicken meat in the crock, some for burritos, then some put into a container for salads and the rest for the white chicken chili.
    (I buy taco seasoning in bulk from costco!)

Black bean soup (panera copycat) is popular.

I have teenage boys, so we go through a TON of food and it has to be "good" but still cheap for me, and as a single working mom...it has to be easy.

Hope this helps!
  • Pixiemops
    Pixiemops Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's quite a lot of effort to cook two sets of meals. No wonder you are exhausted. I cook for my family and they eat what I eat, quinoa and all. My 3 yo will eat most things including lentil curry. I make veg rich dishes and if it looks too vegetabley I blend it and serve on pasta, rice, couscous, potatoes whatever. I weigh my carbs have grated cheese on the table or yoghurt and chopped chilies for those who want to spice/lard it up.
    Sometimes I make double quantities to save cooking another evening.

I also use the slow cooker quite a bit. Pulled Pork in coke is awesome and easy to weigh my own portion and serve with salad and let the family have mash and gravy.

I do occasionally buy supermarket ready meals for a calorie counted meal if I know I'm going to be in a rush. Why not try to do some evenings where you all eat variations of the same and the odd evening have a pre-packed (organic and high quality if it's important to you) meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Maybe just make the heavier meals like lasagna a once in a while thing, and just have your family eat what you're having? I mean, what's wrong with healthier food? You can always add extra pasta or rice on the side for them... It's what I do. I can't imagine justifying the cost of one of those pre-made meal services, frankly.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love this link. Thank you so much...
  • Goal179
    Options
    I am a mum of two boys and also married I understand that it is hard to meal prep for the entire family. I prepare each meal fresh for us and then we all eat the same. Would it not hurt to try and get your kids and husband to eat the same as you a couple of days a week? (Don't shoot me down!!!) Slow and steady is the way, so why not say you all eat what you would like 2 days a week to start with? That way you can at least save on 2 days of purchasing your meals prepped elsewhere.

Furthermore, there are tons of recipes out there whereby you can all enjoy a meal together.

I'll take the lasagne for instance, why not use roasted Mediterranean vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant to replace some layers of the pasta? Instead of using tons of cheesey sauce why not replace with some low fat ricotta and a sprinkling of parmesan. Instead of bread prepare a Panzanella?

Here's a good link for 150 family meals under 500 kcal!

A regular thing I make for my kids now is cauliflower pizza - they literally cannot get enough!!

I understand that prepping might be a bore for you, somehow you have got to find some enjoyment out of it! In doing so it is going to reap dividends for not only your health but your family's too. I think it just takes some time to get into the habit and changing things up a bit and also once you get that EUREKA moment from your children from something healthy you've prepared and they love it!

Personally I would stay well clear of prepared meals, but that's just my honest opinion.

I'm always happy to offer more meal ideas if you would like?

Take care! Lauren.
  • Goal179
    Options
    I am a mum of two boys and also married I understand that it is hard to meal prep for the entire family. I prepare each meal fresh for us and then we all eat the same. Would it not hurt to try and get your kids and husband to eat the same as you a couple of days a week? (Don't shoot me down!!!) Slow and steady is the way, so why not say you all eat what you would like 2 days a week to start with? That way you can at least save on 2 days of purchasing your meals prepped elsewhere.

Furthermore, there are tons of recipes out there whereby you can all enjoy a meal together.

I'll take the lasagne for instance, why not use roasted Mediterranean vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant to replace some layers of the pasta? Instead of using tons of cheesey sauce why not replace with some low fat ricotta and a sprinkling of parmesan. Instead of bread prepare a Panzanella?

Here's a good link for 150 family meals under 500 kcal!

A regular thing I make for my kids now is cauliflower pizza - they literally cannot get enough!!

I understand that prepping might be a bore for you, somehow you have got to find some enjoyment out of it! In doing so it is going to reap dividends for not only your health but your family's too. I think it just takes some time to get into the habit and changing things up a bit and also once you get that EUREKA moment from your children from something healthy you've prepared and they love it!

Personally I would stay well clear of prepared meals, but that's just my honest opinion.

I'm always happy to offer more meal ideas if you would like?

Take care! Lauren.

I love this link. Thank you so much. I am trying it now. Everyone so far, is telling me to skip the meal service and just keep trying to meal prep with healthy meals that I make myself. I will try it. The family hasn't responded well to what I have give them so far.