The cabbage soup diet

Options

Replies

• mallyboo3533
    mallyboo3533 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i love the soup, i make my own variation for dinner sometimes but i only make it to day 4. i felt light headed and sick and i had no energy.. your not eating enough calories in this diet for your body to function. i would say try the soup but i personally wouldnt put my body through that again. my husband made meat at day 4 of something other then that cause i was getting weak
  • Amberdc25
    Options
    yah i agree
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Of ALL the meats it could add, it has beef? Wut. Still. I'll do it if I can start at day 5.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, my now deceased grandmother and great grandmother did this diet together back in the mid '90s. My grandma's house reaked of cabbage soup for weeks. They both lost weight but were miserable in the process. And they did NOT keep it off. Severe calorie restriction by eating amost nothing but cabbage broth is not sustainable.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like the soup and have made the soup for an extremely low calorie snack - never actually followed the diet before. It's a very, very low calorie diet if done per instructions and therefore wouldn't be sustainable or healthy, but if you like vegetable soups then the soup can be made pretty tasty.

I've also used the whole diet plan to make one big soup (omitting the fruit, of course, but adding the tomatoes, beef and other vegetables) - at that point it's a much more well rounded soup and can be delicious. I did that a few times when I was really broke - cheap beef/cabbage soup and a pot of beans - om nom.

This diet plan is not one that I would recommend because of the restrictive nature of it but if you're into soups and like cabbage the soup's recipe can make a pretty good pot 'o snacks.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    This is a diet that is usually promoted by the Pro-Ana crowd. It is short sighted at best. A week does not affect your long term weight goals and doing this diet long term is a bad idea.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage soup so much that it's my "go to" lunch during the winter. But...I'm sure my recipe has far more calories than this "diet" (think cabbage, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, ham bone or other smoked meat, maybe some beans, etc.). Cheap, filling, and nutritious.

As others have said, this diet is as old as dirt. Mom has done it, Grandma's done it. I'm sure Great Grandma has as well. They're all still fat (or died fat--RIP, dear Nana--I love you). If it worked, today's weight loss industry would be dead. We'd all be eating cabbage and be slim.

Imagine--My Cabbage Pal :laugh:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that did it, she lost some weight at first, then when she started eating normal she gained it all back, plus another 20 or so pounds.

IOW don't do it. All weight loss is--is calories in versus calories out. Simply meaning, eat less --move more.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hey if you want to smell like a midget, more power to ya
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this diet is still making the bloody rounds. My mother did this when I was young. Guess what? Didn't help. Revamping your diet and re-learning how to nourish your body does.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    restrictive and I don't think I could follow it. I guess it would be really hard since I don't like cabbage cooked!!! I have heard of others that used it as a jump start to get going
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    I make a home made cabbage tomato and bacon soup, is really yummy.

No way could I eat it 7 days a week though nor stick to the other restrictions.

These silly fad diets never achieve anything long term OP.
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A friend told me I HAD to do this diet for two weeks before my wedding. I thanked her for the advice and moved on with my life. It sounded like a terrible idea. As she explained it to me it was a little different (fruits were specifically strawberries and watermelon) but yeah, same idea. She said she's used it in the past and based on the fact that she's currently overweight, I decided I wanted nothing to do with it. Obviously it wasn't sustainable.
  • atkinsshake
    atkinsshake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's great for detoxing and dropping a few lbs. I think we can do anything for a week but I wouldnt stay on it. I have tried this and it wasnt bad, its healthier than some of these people saying it is no good and then their food diaries are so restrictive I have to laugh. I say go for it for a week if it helps you drop a few and ups your motivation. Good luck and Bon Appetite!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Blimey, is this still around? Blast from the past!

Having said that, any kind of veg-based soup is a good low calorie meal option as long as you don't lace it with loads of cream. Just why put yourself through the pain of jumping through all these other weird dietary hoops alongside it?
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this? I just looked up the soup recipe and didn't realize there was a whole diet surrounding it...Not sure how I feel about it.

Just like the name says, the bulk of this diet is fat-free cabbage soup, eaten two to three times a day with other allowed foods assigned each day. Here's what you can add:

Day 1: Fruit, except bananas
    Day 2: Vegetables like leafy greens (not starchy), but no fruit
    Day 3: Fruits and vegetables
    Day 4: Bananas and skim milk
    Day 5: Beef (or baked chicken without the skin) and tomatoes
    Day 6: Beef and vegetables
    Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables

Did this prior to the military,

Lost 45lbs in a month and a half. Kept it off for about 3 yrs until I had my daughter...10 yrs later had my son and here I am...
  • aguycalledsteve
    Options
    pfft...fad diets.

Eat less and move more.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd kill someone by day 3. Possibly day 2.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'd kill someone by day 3. Possibly day 2.
    ^This

Calorie deficit plus exercise....
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i did it several times before but when i finished the diet if i ate regular foods i gained the weight back and more so when you finish the diet u have to watch what you eat