Help!! What to do about leg cramps?......

Options
auntkaren
auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
I trimmed the yard with hand mower today , done a lot of walking. When I lay down to go to bed both my legs cramp up bad. What do you do for it? I got up and walked around , but as soon as I try to lay down they start again.Very painful.:cry:

Replies

• auntkaren
    Options
    I trimmed the yard with hand mower today , done a lot of walking. When I lay down to go to bed both my legs cramp up bad. What do you do for it? I got up and walked around , but as soon as I try to lay down they start again.Very painful.:cry:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Awww! Sorry you hurt!

Here are a few suggestions...

~ drink plenty of water
    ~ message your legs gently
    ~ take a warm bath or shower
    ~ try putting a pillow between your knees while you sleep tonight

I hope this helps!
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Awww! Sorry you hurt!

Here are a few suggestions...

~ drink plenty of water
    ~ message your legs gently
    ~ take a warm bath or shower
    ~ try putting a pillow between your knees while you sleep tonight

I hope this helps!
    Thanks I will try the pillows , I already have been messaging them.
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your dehydrated. Make sure you drink plenty of water when your doing those type of chores. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
  • Sounds like you are dehydrated - better than water you need an electrolyte replacement drink to really uptake your fluids. But watch out for sugar and sodium, and be sure that magnesium and potassium levels are adequate.

I live near Houston Texas and it is plenty hot and humid - I drink Advocare Rehydrate all the time. Rehydrate has a 1:1 ratio of sodium to potassium, 2 of the most vital electrolytes that are lost when we sweat. It prevents cramping by providing calcium, magnesium and L-glutamine to support the contraction and relaxation of muscles.

I mention all of this because just about anything else is really just colored salty sugar water. Empty calories.

It is really great before bed when hot flashes and night sweats can lead to restless legs and leg cramps. And definitely better than a juice box for my 3 year old daughter.

I hope this is helpful.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ditto what all have said so far--drink plenty of water! But your potassium levels may be low, too--that can cause leg cramps. My mom used to have to eat a banana a day to keep her leg cramps away.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    lack of salt in the diet can cause cramps. If its free and not too much hastle, speak to a doctor and see what he or she can advise.
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Alfalfa vitamins really help with that and stretching for at least 15 min after working out or heavy activity. Drink lots of water too
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Thanks everyone, doctor prescribed something for restless leg syndrome but I am concerned about the side effects, don't know if I will take it tonight or not.:frown: your right about the bananas it's been a while since this has happened before and I started eating bananas every day, I forgot. And it could be dehydration, I don't go to the bathroom much even when drinking tea. I tilled the garden today so I know I am in trouble for tonight again. They are so painful :frown:
  • SunnyInBuffalo
    Options
    potassium...eat bananas....I was a college swimmer..and when we got muscle cramps..usually meant we needed potassium... coach said bananas.. Coconut water (get at health food stores) has tons of potassium.