Stupid Sodium at Subway!

Options
So I thought to myself, why don't I eat healthy but treat myself to lunch at Subway. 520 calories for a 6 inch Honey Oat Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki and Minestrone Soup, perfect!

Unfortunately... I was inputting my dinner a bit early (Chicken Burritos- baked chicken and veggies on a whole wheat tortilla with salsa) and... my sodium went over just with the tortilla input. :(

I had nearly 2000 of my sodium intake fulfilled with my Subway lunch! Can you believe that? Well, I'm not scrimping on my grains and protein so I'll still be eating dinner.... but my sodium is suffering, and my weigh in day is tomorrow morning!!!!

BOO TO YOU SUBWAY, AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO!

(Note to self, I don't hate subway, I just need to look at sodium values too)

Replies

• kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Haha, I am in the same situation! Having Subway for dinner, and it put me over on sodium. However, It is not my weigh in day tomorrow, and I stopped caring about my sodium intake a long time ago, lol.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I think it's eating out in general. Even when I try to eat healthy, the sodium content is so high. I never really noticed it before but it's crazy! There are some items on Chili's menu that are over 6000 on sodium, for one meal!
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I LOVE Subway, I must say! That said, I am definitely aware of the sodium issue. Anytime you have processed meats, your sodium is already going to be high - so strike one there! Then you add the different breads in and they have varying degree of sodium as well - strike two! Finally, the soup - yeah there is going to be lot's of sodium there just for flavor - strike three!

So, when I go to Subway I have put some thought into the meals I will have for the entire day to compensate. It's still a "healthier" option, but sodium does make a difference in some people more than others.

On a side note: I had Subway today and decided to try another bread other than the wheat or Omega 3 and got the Honey Oat. Tasted great, BUT it has 50 more calories than the wheat - tastes good but not that good. Won't make that mistake again, not even worth it!
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Subway may be alright in calories but the sodium in the bread alone is evil! >< only good for a treat...I'd ask for the same stuff but in a salad..and buy my own bread!
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Subway may be alright in calories but the sodium in the bread alone is evil! >< only good for a treat...I'd ask for the same stuff but in a salad..and buy my own bread!
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    Yeah, I think next time I'll do the salad, damn, I just couldn't believe it... I hope it doesn't affect the scale tomorrow... and I still have over 1,000 calories to finish up the rest of the day (I'm trying to avidly eat ALL of my exercise calories for a week or two and see if it works). Oh boy, here we go, let's see if I can find food without sodium...
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    I hate subway. The calories are a good number but they are entirely empty. I am always starving after eating it.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Its far better then having a MC'Ds or KFC tho if you out and after some fast food with no other options its not too bad.

I had a Subway Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, 6 "and it was only 1000 sodium according to the entry I used, your soup would be high in sodium i'd expect, a cheap soup like cup-a-soups which use LOADS of salt.

Not big on extra toppings, never have been just had loads of peppers and jalapeños

Their website also says 1g sodium including bread

[url] http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/subs/lite-subs/sweet-onion-chicken-teriyaki.aspx[/url]