Help me have an AWESOME vacation!

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
Hi MFPers!

In about a month I'll be going on a cruise with my family leaving from New Orleans, which none of us have ever been to, so will be spending a few days there too, the cruise will also be stopping in Belize City, Belize, Roatan, Honduran, and Cozumel, Mexico.

Has anyone been to any of these ports before? What would you recommend doing? What are some good places to eat and some 'must see's" for each city. Do you recommend staying with "big" tour companies or are small private tours safe?

Any common hidden fees or customs that we should know about?

Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Never been, but can I go?! I have jokes :-D lol
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Have been to Cozumel. Hubby and I jumped in a cab and headed to the beach, we were only there a few hours, did a little shopping on the way back to the ship. Cabbie got the tip of a lifetime, hubby had $100 fall out of his pocket in the cab LOL
  • jr1985
    Options
    Have been to Cozumel. Hubby and I jumped in a cab and headed to the beach, we were only there a few hours, did a little shopping on the way back to the ship. Cabbie got the tip of a lifetime, hubby had $100 fall out of his pocket in the cab LOL

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that. Cozumel is the only port I've ever been to, and didn't actually go to the beach there, but a group of us hired a guy to take about 6 of us around... he was the BEST tour guide I've ever had... we tipped him pretty well too, but not nearly as well as it sounds like you did :)
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We were in Belize, Ambergris Caye (an island) a couple of years back for our honeymoon. If you have the time go snorkeling (absolutely must!!). The water is beautiful and the sea life amazing. We also went on a trip to visit some ruins (with a smaller tour company) but nothing compares to the snorkeling. We did not spend much if any time in Belize City ... And don't forget the bug repellent.
  • jr1985
    Options
    We were in Belize, Ambergris Caye (an island) a couple of years back for our honeymoon. If you have the time go snorkeling (absolutely must!!). The water is beautiful and the sea life amazing. We also went on a trip to visit some ruins (with a smaller tour company) but nothing compares to the snorkeling. We did not spend much if any time in Belize City ... And don't forget the bug repellent.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the bug spray tip! I wouldn't have thought of that!
  • meinola
    meinola Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I live in New Orleans, and would be happy to make some recommendations. You said you were coming with family (does that include small children?); the aquarium and insect museum are both located downtown near where the cruises leave from. There's also a really cool tour company with motorized bicycles (or regular if you want to work in some exercise) that have several tours to choose from. Think it's called Buzz Nola? Swamp tours are also a lot of fun and you can usually find Groupons for them. As for restaurants or other eats, I could wax poetic for days. :) Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • jr1985
    Options
    I live in New Orleans, and would be happy to make some recommendations. You said you were coming with family (does that include small children?); the aquarium and insect museum are both located downtown near where the cruises leave from. There's also a really cool tour company with motorized bicycles (or regular if you want to work in some exercise) that have several tours to choose from. Think it's called Buzz Nola? Swamp tours are also a lot of fun and you can usually find Groupons for them. As for restaurants or other eats, I could wax poetic for days. :) Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Thanks for your help! No small children, but the swamp tour sounds great!