Switching back to regular soda?

Options
First things first... I know I shouldn't be drinking soda to begin with but I do, so let's just get that out of the way. I don't drink it in excess and I'm not going to deny myself. I really only drink one can a day.

So last year when I was using MFP and training for a 5k, I was drinking one can of regular coke every day with lunch. I always logged it and made sure to try and work off those 140 calories everyday I worked out.

Since then I've gained about 10 pounds (I stopped logging and ate whatever) and now I'm trying to get back into a good groove. I have also taking a liking to diet coke and usually choose it over regular coke. Could this switch cause me to hold on to weight? I was losing weight pretty regularly when I was drinking regular but now with exercise and logging (my diet is still pretty consistent) I'm not really losing that much weight. I have also started strength training (which I didn't do last year).

Has anyone else had this happen when switching to diet? I'm really considering going back to regular and just spending an extra 15 mins at the gym to work it off. I love the stupid stuff!

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Scientifically there's nothing about diet soda that should cause that (assuming that you're maintaining the same calorie deficit either way), but there's plenty of anecdotal/n=1 evidence out there where people will claim that diet soda has stalled their weight loss and can/will stall yours, also. There may or may not be something to that.

If you've shaved off some of your workout because you don't "need" to burn those extra calories anymore, there may be a negligible decrease in your TDEE beyond just the workout calories due to the "after burn" type effect of exercise (there's a technical name for it that's slipping my mind, but hopefully you know what I mean). But, we're talking a TDEE change in the tens, not hundreds, of calories, so it shouldn't impact you too significantly.

Honestly, it's going to come down to personal preference and how your body reacts, etc etc. Why not just try it for a couple weeks? Worst that happens is that you get some extra cardio in...

(I need to follow my own advice. Lol.)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you like diet soda but you want to know if you should switch from a zero-calorie beverage to a 140-calorie beverage because the zero-calorie beverage might make you "hold on" to weight? Explain the logic there.
  • emburr
    emburr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zevia? It's still a no-cal soda, so if the problem was due to you exercising less since you're consuming less, then that won't help. However, the sweetener in it is stevia, which is a better alternative than aspartame.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zevia? It's still a no-cal soda, so if the problem was due to you exercising less since you're consuming less, then that won't help. However, the sweetener in it is stevia, which is a better alternative than aspartame in my opinion

Fixed that for you.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zevia? It's still a no-cal soda, so if the problem was due to you exercising less since you're consuming less, then that won't help. However, the sweetener in it is stevia, which is a better alternative than aspartame in my opinion

Fixed that for you.

Ugh I took one drink of this stuff once and poured it all down the drain. I hated it. Much much rather have diet dr. pepper
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Please note, this is anecdotal so take it as you will.

The problem with diet sodas and the possible weight gain stigma is that some people will drink the diet soda as an excuse to eat more - like they've realized that drinking empty calories can make them gain weight so they cut that out, but subconsciously they go for a bigger lunch. (Diet Coke and a pizza, please.) Note: this is not all people. This is some people. Some people may have adverse reactions to aspartame, or some may have issues with carbonation intake, etc etc etc. This is just something that I personally have witnessed in the past.

If you are aware of your portion sizes, counting calories and tracking it, and are at a calorie deficit there you won't have a problem with losing weight. If you want to incorporate full sugar sodas back into your diet, be sure there's room in your daily intake to accommodate the extra calories, especially if you have adjusted your intake up that 140 calories / can.
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you like diet soda but you want to know if you should switch from a zero-calorie beverage to a 140-calorie beverage because the zero-calorie beverage might make you "hold on" to weight? Explain the logic there.

That's why I'm so confused! The switch from regular to diet is the only change in my diet! I just don't understand why I'm not losing the way I did last spring! So weird.
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I like to drink club soda. It doesn't have any calories, but it is carbonated. My friend bought one of those soda machines with the CO2 cartridge. She puts water in it to maker her own carbonated water.
  • katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've fallen into the bad habit of drinking diet coke again. Sorry, it's not any healthier than regular soda just because it doesn't have any calories. I've found that it makes me crave sugary foods so I've been cutting back a lot and honestly, I suggest that. Maybe a can every other day but not every day. Anyhow, I am starting to like my water with lemon..

Also, are you eating enough? What are your workouts like? Perhaps, ditch the soda for a couple of weeks and see if there is a change.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I tend to get headaches from artificial sweeteners so I stay away from them. Realistically they're probably fine for you in the small amounts we take in from foods and drinks. But I just have a regular soda now and then rather than the diet cokes anymore. Regular tastes better and unless you drink a lot all the time, you're not going to gain any weight. I usually have one or two a week. Maybe you can cut down from one a day to one every other day or something to watch the calories.