Apparently salt is Teh Bomb.

Options
New to the community. Hello! I'm a 6'3 fish eating vegetarian and wanting to lose around 20 lbs. I've logged my food and exercise into this system. I was surprised to see how apparently out of control my sodium intake was 6282 and 3745 across two days -- which is 3982 and 1445 over respectively. While I realize this is only two days worth of data, my diet is pretty consistent.

In looking at the breakdown, it seems much of the sodium creeps in via eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, and salsa (and other "spice agents"). Being a vegetarian, I'm concerned about getting sufficient amounts of protein and the first three items seemed to be good staples. Now after seeing the breakdown, I realize reconsideration may be in order.

In addition, my blood pressure has tested slightly high recently (142/81) which is surprising as I'm a pretty healthy guy. This perhaps gives insight as to what's going on there. It's further been suggested that high levels of sodium intake can lead to water retention which might explain a few of the extra pounds...maybe?

I've made my food diary public. Feedback as to how to get the sodium intake under control while maintaining my protein intake is appreciated.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you cut back on those seasonings. and get rid of the Pop Tarts, and switch to low-sodium beans (or boil dry beans), that should make a big difference. The sodium data for eggs seems wrong - it's more like 150 mg for 2 eggs.

For a vegetarian, you sure don't eat a lot of veggies. High-veggie diets tend to bring down BP.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 2 eggs only runs me 130mg sodium.

Also, high sodium can be offset somewhat by water intake. Drink 12 cups a day, you won't be retaining.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Try making your own sauces - they seem to be the biggest culprits. Maybe salsa or use dry chilli flakes or Tabasco?

Is the egg entry accurate - that seems high. see if you can find a different brand of cottage cheese too.

I seem to be okay normally, I think it's when things are pre-prepared you start to see high sodium numbers.
  • strongeriam
    strongeriam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah, too much Sodium can affect BP.
  • brockak
    brockak Posts: 8
    Options
    Great feedback, thanks!

RE: not eating a lot of veggies - I try to work them into my morning protein shake. Also, I rely a lot on salsas and adding stuff onto pizzas (e.g., artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, jalapeños, etc.). I agree though - lots of room for more veggies.

And get rid of the Pop Tarts?? Blasphemy! I have quite the insatiable sweet tooth. That said, I think I've found a solution. I'm going to test it for a few days and it turns out to be worthwhile it, I'll post it.

Good to know about the sodium data on eggs. It...almost...mitigates my sodium issue. ;)

I like the advice about making my own sauces/salsas. I used to and they came out RAD. I don't have a food processor anymore, but I don't see why I couldn't do it in my Ninja.

I just got some of No-Salt Seasoning (Kirkland, of course -- I'm a Costco junkie): http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-Organic-No-Salt-Seasoning-4-pack.product.100043610.html . Tried it on my eggs, and it's really good.

I think what's killing me is the built-in sodium as you've suggested.