tone sneakers

Options
Hey all,

Does anyone own tone sneakers? If so what brand? Do you feel they help you burn more calories or tone leg muscle more than regular fitness shoes? What brand is best?

Replies

• npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great question!
    I myself am a little suspicious of these as I have a brother who loves to talk about the benefits of barefoot walking/running.
    I'm curious with MFP community thinks.
  • iampam654
    Options
    I bought the reebok easy tones on black friday actually :) so far I love them (except for the fact I bought them and immediately wore them for the next 6 hours shopping so I have a blister now lol). I can actually feel them working, it's amazing and I have already started to notice more definition in my butt and back legs. They look like legit shoes too, they don't look weird and uncomfortable like the sketchers brand. I think they're pretty comfortable too. They have built in "balancing balls", I believe they're called. I dunno, I don't think they're uncomfortable to walk in, I actually like the fact that I can feel that they're working my legs. I also wear them to the gym to walk on the treadmill and what not. They are a bit pricey but I would definitely recommend them.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I bought the Reebok ones and didn't see one bit of difference, and the hurt my feet! I think they're all a bunch of hype.
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    I got the Reebok ones awhile ago. Don't see a difference. I do wear them everyday to work (I work in a lab), but that is only because they are now my grimey old pair of tennis shoes lol.

I do have to say they are horrible for aerobics class or any other high cardio class. Very awkward when you have to move and place your feet in different positions. Because of that balance ball thing you end up tilting your foot to one side or the other.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The whole thing is having to work on your balance. Which is great if you have it to begin with. But if your accident pron I wouldn't recommend them.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I bought the Reebok ones and didn't see one bit of difference, and the hurt my feet! I think they're all a bunch of hype.

agreed! I have the same feelings
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair of the Reebok Easy Tones for a month and a half and think they're great. They're very comfortable. I wear mine to the gym and on the street with no problems. They took a little getting used to for the first day, but it was easy enough to get used to them. I work my legs a lot anyways, between strength training and cardio, so I can't say for sure if they've helped tone or strengthen my legs, I would definately consider buying another pair.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Vibrams over any of the 'toning' shoes. Barefoot is best, but that's just me.
  • Guber3mom
    Guber3mom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    yes the Reeboks seem to be the only ones that don't look weird saw in the news though that their was concern that the tone sneakers company couldn't substantiate the claims of acutally toning..
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I bought the Ryka Reform about 6 months ago and paid quite a bit. I love them and bought a second pair from Amazon for half the price. I like Rykas anyway - they are made on a woman's last (the mold of a woman's foot), with a wider toe box and narrow heel, which fit great. You can really feel the difference when you walk - the shape of the sole kind of propels you forward. I don't know how much of a difference they make, but they feel great and motivate me to go further and faster. I use my first pair for outdoor walks and keep the newer pair 'pristine' by only wearing them indoors for my Leslie Sansone walk at home workouts. The soles are kind of thick but don't look as obvious as other brands, especially the Sketchers.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have the skechers Shape Ups & LOVE them. I can really feel a difference (but have yet to see a change) when I walk. But you MUST break them in first & follow what the DVD says.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i have the reebok ones too! they are FANTASTIC. you can totally feel them working :)
  • steppann
    Options
    I have the Reebok easytone. I was so excited to get them and I still use them but there are lots of articles out about how all of the shape up shoes are just a way to get people to buy them. There have been many post on this site about them with the articles. Maybe try doing a search on it. Honestly (and I hate to say it since I spent my money on them) I have seen no greater difference from doing my walking with them to wearing them.

This is from a previous post about these shoes.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/will-toning-footwear-get-you-in-shape/shaper-sneakers.html

QUOTE:
    Recently, researchers from the American Council on Exercise decided to put the toners to the test. They recruited subjects; laced them up in EasyTones, Shape-ups, and MBTs; and put them on treadmills. Then they used electromyography to measure the muscle activation in their calves, quads, hamstrings, buttocks, back, and abs. The researchers found no significant increase in muscle activity when comparing toners to normal sneakers.

"There is simply no evidence to support the claims that these shoes will help wearers exercise more intensely, burn more calories, or improve muscle strength and tone," the report found.