Exercises for "Thunder Thighs"

Options
I'm getting super frustrated with my thunder thighs! Although I've been working out on a regular basis my thighs get no smaller. I am 5'3" and my thighs are 23" (each leg) around!!! It doesn't seem to matter how many lunges, squats, or cardio I do...they don't change at all. I have super muscular quadriceps but the rest of the thigh isn't all that muscular and it's UGLY!

Any suggestions out there? Especially for inner thigh and hamstring work!?!?!?!?!

Replies

• KimKramer
    Options
    I have the same issue and found Pilates to be the trick! Good Luck :)
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    I've seen an increase in my strength with squats, lunges, etc. but not a lot of inches lost yet.
    I think the weight is still coming off other places....
    I would love some suggestions.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've been doing lots of cardio and have noticed fat loss on my thighs. I go to the gym 5 days a week. 3 days I do circuit training for 30 minutes and then 30 minutes of cardio. The other 2 days I do 60 minutes of cardio. I use the arc trainer first, aiming for 30 minutes, since it's a tougher workout and then move to the treadmill.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I've got large legs or "thunder thighs" and I've found that Tracy Anderson Method is absolutely amazing for slimming legs and butt.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Try deadlifts or hip raises to tone up and solidify your thighs and glutes.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm getting super frustrated with my thunder thighs! Although I've been working out on a regular basis my thighs get no smaller. I am 5'3" and my thighs are 23" (each leg) around!!! It doesn't seem to matter how many lunges, squats, or cardio I do...they don't change at all. I have super muscular quadriceps but the rest of the thigh isn't all that muscular and it's UGLY!

Any suggestions out there? Especially for inner thigh and hamstring work!?!?!?!?!

WOW BURN!!! I am 5'3 with a 23" thigh and I love my legs.. Never thought of them as ugly!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    In the Jillian Micahel's No More Trouble Zones video she points out that the worst exercises to do are ones that strengthen your leg muscles because that makes your legs BIGGER not smaller. The idea is to just burn the fat off and eventually it will come from there.. you can't spot reduce fat.. this might just be the last place your body loses weight from... while my body chooses to lose weight from my chest first (aka the only place I'd like to keep the fat!)
  • seemichellerun
    Options

WOW BURN!!! I am 5'3 with a 23" thigh and I love my legs.. Never thought of them as ugly!

Same here! I'm 5'2" and I have very muscular thighs (23.5").
  • DreeDub
    DreeDub Posts: 289 Member
    Options

SORRY...i didn't mean that as a burn...I wouldn't mind the size of my legs if they were ALL muscle...the flabby inner thigh kills me! Other than that...I like em...I'm a muscle girl...as long as I can firm up the rest of em...I'll be happy!
  • DreeDub
    Options
    In the Jillian Micahel's No More Trouble Zones video she points out that the worst exercises to do are ones that strengthen your leg muscles because that makes your legs BIGGER not smaller. The idea is to just burn the fat off and eventually it will come from there.. you can't spot reduce fat.. this might just be the last place your body loses weight from... while my body chooses to lose weight from my chest first (aka the only place I'd like to keep the fat!)

I guess it's not that I have to reduce the size so much as firm the legs up! I hate the soft/flabby inner thighs I currently have...the muscle is fine...until I try jean shopping again ;)
  • DreeDub
    Options
    I apologize to anybody who I may have offended by saying my 23" legs are UGLY. I'm not saying all muscular/big thighs are ugly...I love muscle...just hate flab and I currently have too much flab for my liking ;)

So again...sorry if I upset anybody :(
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Take up jogging, then ease into running. It will do wonders. :smile:

Good luck!
  • james3302
    Options
    No exercise can spot reduce a certain area. You will have to just continue losing weight and working out. You thighs will most likely always be bigger than other parts of your body, your just a pear shape. You will have to lose weight all over, your thighs may be more stubborn and you may lose that weight last, but it will come off.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Of course you didn't mean to offend anyone by saying "Hey everyone with 23" thighs are UGLY"...you didn't mean anything hateful by it, you were just saying YOU don't like YOUR "flabby 23" thighs". People please don't take offense by a statement somebody makes about themselves. It is not a personal attack. And of course you can't "spot" train problem areas. But by doing certain exercises like one of the other girl said, you can actually make the muscle bigger as opposed to slimming it and making a long lean muscle. A good friend of mine who is otherwise petite created very large "meaty" legs after training for a marathon. I on the other hand have never been a runner yet still have the same problem with carrying most of my weight/flab in my legs/thighs/butt. Some of us are just shaped like this. Like I had posted earlier, I would seriously recommend you look into the Tracy Anderson Method. It has not only slimmed my legs it has also helped my marathon runner friend as well as another fit yet flabby legged best friend of mine. We swear by the method and love the long lean muscle that is a result of it!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Also, some oldies but goodies: Jane Fonda's lower leg lifts... am I dating myself?

(Lay on your side, bend the top leg so the foot is flat on the ground roughly in front of your crotch, and lift your other leg up, focusing on your inner thigh.)
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also, some oldies but goodies: Jane Fonda's lower leg lifts... am I dating myself?

(Lay on your side, bend the top leg so the foot is flat on the ground roughly in front of your crotch, and lift your other leg up, focusing on your inner thigh.)

But Fonda don't got a motor in the back of her Honda!!! hahah

I didn't take offense at all! Everyone's bodies are composed differently, also everyone feels different about themselves!