Low Carb Breakfast

Options
13»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Ok....I'm just starting out with all of this and one issue I am having is cutting my carbs in my breakfast. Everything I eat for breakfast is high in carbs. Cereals, juices, bread, fruit,.....the only thing I might eat on a regular basis for breakfast that doesn't overload my carbs is EGGS. I like eggs, but I need some variety.

What do you eat for breakfast that is low in carbs but still gives you enough energy to get you going for the day?

My two standard choices:

1. Six eggs (three whole, three whites) with salsa. Maybe a bit of cheese on occasion. Side of guacamole, usually a Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie pack or two. Sometimes a half an avocado. Add bacon, sausage, whatever. Sometimes I'll sautee some spinach and veggies and make an omelette.

2. Smoothie with one serving of Isopure No Carb Mango Peach, a banana, some frozen mixed berries and as much kale/spinach as I can get in the vitamix. A bit of water and then blend and drink.

I strive for about 500 calories and 50 grams of protein.

On rare occassions (like today) if I'm running late I'll do a couple of bagels with peanut butter.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    I often don't eat breakfast until late, like noonish, but I vary large egg/egg white scrambles (my favorite two are mushroom/spinach, and potato/pepper/onion, both with cheese) with non-breakfast foods. Yesterday "breakfast" was a 5oz chunk of steak with a large portion of broccoli and mushrooms stir fried together.

For easier choices, yogurt and fruit! Sprouted grain bread with peanut butter. Bacon and tomato on toast. Your choices are endless, really. Even my kids are getting away from eating breakfast cereal, though the ones they do eat tend to be fiber dense, or only lightly sweetened if that.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Tropicana 50 orange juice... my son loves orange juice and i bought this for him because we are having to watch his sugar

No, that's still just a sugar solution. Paying over the odds for a watered down version doesn't change that.

My mother in law buys this for my father in law. I CANNOT convince her to just buy regular orange juice and add water, lol. It's the same dang thing for half (or less) the cost.

My carb loving (6', 180lb) husband, eats a couple bowls of dry cereal and drinks 2 cups of OJ every single morning for breakfast. That'd kill me, lol.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do egg muffins, and half a protein shake, and sometimes a greek yogurt with it. It keeps my breakfast carbs around 17 grams
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm very fond of light string cheese. Look for ones that have very few ingredients -- Ideally just milk and cheese cultures. They are also great when you need to eat breakfast under way and they will suffer a lot of abuse at the bottom of a book bag or purse with few ill effects. Although they are supposed to be refrigerated, I've gone for days without -- this past week, for example, when I was travelling and in motels without refrigerators. I ate the last of the string cheese on the plane ride home. As long as the vacuum wrapping has held and it shows no signs of spoilage, I've found it still edible. BabyBel goudas are also good in this respect but you have to watch out for the red wax when you are done. If that escapes in the bottom of your purse or in your car and has a chance to melt there, you have a mess to clean up.
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I normally have a smoothie first thing in the morning to help kick start things (at around 7am - I drink it while I'm driving to work):

- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    - 1/3 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
    - 1/2 cup of frozen berries (normally wild blueberries, sometimes I add a few frozen cranberries
    - 1 tsp Maca powder
    - handful of baby spinach
    - a drop of liquid Stevia
    - sometimes I'll add 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder but this isn't really necessary for me, most days

And then, a couple of hours later once I'm at work, I'll have:

- 1 whole hardboiled egg with s+p (you could probably do 2 eggs here, depending on your calorie needs)
    - 7 walnut halves (or almonds)

It took me a while to get it right, but I find this combination of food and the timing in which I take it in makes me feel great, and keeps me energized all morning. I also don't seem to crash in the afternoons quite like I used to.

ETA: I also drink a large coffee with 10% or 18% cream every morning.
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I keep posting these videos as replies on here as I find them so informative. The first one is regarding his "Evolution Breakfast" which can be seen here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffjC7N1PSI&list=UUxUqBcX8-LoJzQokJIIST_Q

The second is regarding macros, water intake, carb intake etc which can be seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_4_ulozA0&list=UUxUqBcX8-LoJzQokJIIST_Q

I am not affiliated to them in any way, but I have trained there a few times when I have been back in UK (work abroad most of the year). I think a lot of their videos are very good for anyone, regardless of goal.

Definitely worth a watch.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Full fat probiotic yoghurt, two handfuls of berries, 1/4 cup mixed ground seeds (flax, hemp, chia, sunflower, pumpkin), 1/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds, brazils, walnuts). 600- 650 calories, about 15g net carbs, delicious and filling :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lower carb breakfast. I don't really do eggs. So my go to is about 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1/2-1 cup of fruit (berries, peaches, plums, figs, whatever I have around), 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, 2-3 teaspoons of honey or similar, and 1 tablespoon of nuts or seeds. Let it sit for around 15 minutes and eat (longer is fine, if I am eating breakfast at work I do it the night before). I feel full and got omega-3s, protein and fiber in one swoop. It hits the sweet breakfast spot without too much added sugar.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh, sometimes when I feel like something quick, or just want quick nutrition, I make a smoothie with the following:

Yoghurt
    Berries
    Banana
    Seeds
    Nuts
    Nut butter
    Coconut oil
    Cocoa (optional)

Basically a little bit of each, add a little bit of water, blend, add more water to get the consistency you want, and drink. Very filling and nutritious, and something I'm happy to use as a replacement meal occasionally. Its mostly a breakfast smoothie, and based closely enough on one I saw from a video interview with the nutritionist Mark Hyman.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like Greek Yogurt with fruit, PB 2 , walnuts and chia or eggs, cheese and red peppers. I full for hours then.