Weightlifting Question

umfan85
umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I could really use some advice. The gym at my apartment complex is quite limited when it comes to it's weight machine. It is your standard all in one machine. The chest press part of it is broken, so that is out of the question.

What I am currently doing is 3 sets of each: Seated Row, Bicep Curl, & Lat Pull Downs. 15 reps each set. I am a beginner, but I am curious as to if there is anything wrong with this? I don't want to get my muscles out of wack, or over train certain muscles and under-train their opposites.

I am saving up some money in order to buy a couple of dumbbells, or at least a resistant band. I hope to add more variety to my workout with these.

Any Advice?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    The rows and the lat pull downs are mostly for your back. You need more balance. I would alternate a set of pull downs and then do a maxed out set of push-ups. Then a set of rows and then back to push-ups. You should work to balance your lower body strength with your upper body strength as well. Wall squats or walking squats don't take up a lot of space and burns a lot of calories.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Edorice is spot on. I am going to add one more thing ~ while pushups work your tris in addition to chest, I recommend adding dips. You can do that on a stable chair or on stairs. Great for the back of the arms!
  • What I am currently doing is 3 sets of each: Seated Row, Bicep Curl, & Lat Pull Downs. 15 reps each set. I am a beginner, but I am curious as to if there is anything wrong with this? I don't want to get my muscles out of wack, or over train certain muscles and under-train their opposites.

Lower your reps and increase your weight to where you can only manage 3 sets of 8-10 with a 2 minute rest between sets.
    edorice is correct you want to balance the push with the pull. Delete bicep curls from the equation, they're useless, they're a vanity exercise and that's it. And if you're thinking that if you lift heavy you'll get really big, you won't. To get bulky you need to eat a very large surplus of calories, to build muscle you need to eat a surplus of calories. So what is your goal? Age? Height? Weight? Activity level?
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    This is all great advice! Thank You!

Regarding the bicep curls, is that really true? All in vain? I feel like biceps hold me up when doing a push up a little bit, and come in handy when do lawn work, etc.

I will vary it up, I like the idea of adding push ups to my circuit. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.