question about coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Given that the changes I made/make are for the long run, I was not willing to give up coffee nor change it. 'My Coffee' was my first recipe that I logged on MFP. I do not personally do the sugar substitutes thing and would not suggest it to anyone else.

I do limit the amount of 'My Coffee' that I have and if later in the day I want coffee I usually have it black, it just won't do for my daily morning coffee.

I think you need to have some things in your diet that work for you without substitutes :smile:
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was never much of a fan of sugar in my coffee. I like vanilla-flavored Almond milk and Cinnamon in my coffee. This combination is just really tasty. I even prefer it more than half & half or whole milk in my coffee. I drink two 12-ounce cups every morning. It's a great starter for the day.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    1. The obsession with the 1200 calories benchmark is a little unfortunate. If that is the number you've come up with based on your height, weight, and activity level, then that's great. Otherwise, you're doing yourself a disservice.

This. Fo' sho'.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Oh and my coffee consists of a packet of hot cocoa powder, half n half, flavored creamer, THEN coffee. Trust me, you can make anything work.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    1. The obsession with the 1200 calories benchmark is a little unfortunate. If that is the number you've come up with based on your height, weight, and activity level, then that's great. Otherwise, you're doing yourself a disservice.

2. Most sweeteners should be fine as long as you use them in moderation. This includes sucralose and aspartame. The whole scare around both of those sweeteners is generally badly disguised marketing for "natural" supplements.

3. If you don't like the taste, there is nothing wrong with sugar. Its not THAT many calories and if you just prioritize properly, it shouldn't impact your goal.

4. Caffeine is slightly thermogenic but a bit of a diuretic too. Make sure you stay hydrated or you're going to get the dreaded caffeine migraine.

^ thanks for saving me some typing.
    add: I've used splenda, stevia and truvia - I prefer the truvia to all of them, but if you're on the go you'll most often find splenda. It works if you can't handle the bite of black coffee. And it isn't going to kill you despite what many may think. It's fine. Everything in moderation, that's the most important thing to take away from "dieting."
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar I am almost certain has more sugar than sugar in the raw which is what I use two tsp with about 5 tbsp of carnation evaporated milk (there are low fat and fat free versions if you like). I get the creamy flavor and it satisfies me. I just have about 3/4 of a cup and I am good.

If you must have your coffee have it but it is best to try out different things and see what works for you. I don't really drink coffee as much as I used to because it was not healthy for me the way I had it extremely light and super sweet. I still have it now and then the way I want it. I do not feel deprived. I have switched to tea flavors like chai, honey chamomile, mint so I can change up. Try everything to see what works for you at the end of the day you have to be satisfied.

Artificial, natural, whatever it may be do what pleases you and your palate!
  • jennamccanlies1110
    Options
    I've found cinnamon is a great replacement for a sweetener in my coffee. If you need the sweet taste, even just a little almond milk or 2% along with the cinnamon is a good alternative.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Drink your coffee black, the way the Good Lord intended!