Any Bakers or Food Service Professionals?

Options
Any bakers or food service professionals out there? I'm a baker myself and sampling the goods is probably the hardest thing not to do! What's your plan of attack? Any success stories? Do share.

Thanks!

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Pro cook here....I've found I have to just keep tasting to TASTING...not eating...and I do ok. Actually, I'm pretty bored with everything we serve, good as it is, so it isn't all that tempting anymore. I just sort of put it in a different mental category...this isn't food, this is just stuff I'm working on....
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Being around sugar all the time, I'm going to have to learn to stop picking at things. That's a habit.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found this to be my biggest obstacle is working for a catering company and constantly being around free delicious food. So many weeks of plateauing was due to this. These are some things I had to do.
    1. Estimate how many calories on average the meals and snacks at work are. I found a day at work is usually 1000 calories on average so that's what I put in my food log.
    2. Make a habit to only drink water at work. I don't know about you, but at mine we have constant free coffee and soda and I learned that I was overdoing that perk. A couple times I have been tempted to drink a soda, but when that happens i make sure to not overdo it and measure how much so I can log it after work.
    3. Change diet settings. Before I had it loosing one pound a week. The thing is that so often I would accidently go over my calories because of one day at work where I ate over a thousand and it screwed up my week. So I adjusted to lose 1.5 pounds a week and I found it helps with extra wiggle room just in case something at work is way more calories than suspected.
    4. Stay on your feet. This is a toughie especially with work being such an exhausting place sometimes. Thankfully as you lose weight it gets easier and you have energy. Staying busy at work helps burn those calories though. Just don't log it into exercise. I learned the hard way.
    5. Straight up willpower. Better said than done though.

Hope this helps. I'm still learning myself how to tackle weight loss when you're constantly surrounded by amazing food, but these are just a few things helping me along. I believe in you!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was a professional pastry chef for years. Getting out was the best thing I ever did, but short of that, one trick I used was mentally asking myself if I 'needed' to taste that certain thing. Sure, I might WANT to eat some chocolate chip cookie dough, but the recipe never changes and by now I know what it tastes like. It was definitely not a necessity. Now, if I'm making a sauce, or something new that might require tweaking then I'd take a small taste and adjust.