outside runner needing HELP!

Davis713
Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
So ever since October I have been running outdoors and LOVE it. BUt now it has turned far too cold to run outdoors. What can I do inside that will give me a great workout and also keep me motivated? I have an OLD elliptical that I use if I HAVE to but I really hate it! I do have p90x that I could do IF my husband would be willing to help out with thekids for an hour and he is not always willing to do that.......I need HELP!!:ohwell:

Replies

• baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Perhaps sell your elliptical that you hate and buy a treadmill? That way you can still run. Or check Craigslist and see if someone if willing to trade. I see them on there often. Exercise before kids get up if possible? Or if they are school aged. Ypur basically swapping "outside run time" for "indoor workout time" Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    This is the reason I joined a gym. I've got a two year old and a seven month old and I just can't work out at home.
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    The temp outside right now is 28! BRRRR I'm not sure that would be the healthiest thing for me to do right now!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    I agree with the last comment..."how cold is too cold." I can only jog in the early AM (around 8am) and it was in the low 30's here last week around that time and I still jogged. I layered in a thermal shirt and jogging pants. By the time i completed the first mile, i was really feeling the heat build up under my clothes. Don't know how I'll feel about jogging outside once the temp gets lower. I do have a treadmill and a bike at home, and use them on occasion but i agree it's just not the same as running outside.
  • LanakilaGirl
    LanakilaGirl Posts: 41 Member
    I run outside also and have never had a treadmill or a gym pass. I've managed to run 3 full marathons, 3 half marathons and 1 5k by doing stuff in my home throughout the winter. I have two kids as well that are 8 and 10. I've been working out like this since before they were even born (since I was a teenager, really)!

As they were babies it wasn't always easy, but I have a large variety of workout videos that I've accumulated over the years. My boys eventually got to the point where they knew that was "Mom's time". After a while they started working out with me (cutest thing EVER!). I like all of the Jillian Michaels videos. I'm finding that I love the yoga videos (Biggest Loser and Bob Harper's new one). Turbo Jam is super fun too. Some days you'll get a better workout than others, just learn to accept what ever you can get in. Be consistent and it will just become part of the day's routine for your little ones.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    I ran outside all last winter. I wore breathable layers, including a scarf across my face to help filter that cold air, and I loved it - and I HATE cold weather. I found that after the first 10 minutes, I warmed up and was in the zone.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    I don't know how everyone is missing the obvious suggestion! Move to San Diego! Seriously, i thought it was too cold to run today, but I fought through the 62 degrees and got my run in. :laugh:
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    I don't know how everyone is missing the obvious suggestion! Move to San Diego! Seriously, i thought it was too cold to run today, but I fought through the 62 degrees and got my run in. :laugh:

Cute!

I woould love to move to San Diego...I would be in heaven living in place where it's like 75 degrees year round. Just not an option right now.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    I live in Northern VT and ran all last winter. My coldest run was -10 (F). I wear layers, and I have a balaclava to wear to keep from getting frostbite on my face, and help with the breathing. It is really hard to get yourself out there, but after 10 minutes, like the other poster said, you are good to go, and it makes you feel invinceable! The most important things: Wear reflective clothing, carry a flashlight and cell phone, make short loops in case you twist an ankle or something and have to walk to get home, because while you may be warm enough running, you will get cold fast when you stop. And don't wear anything cotton! Good luck!
  • It's not super cold in TX right now, but I'll get out and run til about 20 degrees. Below 20 is my cut off point. Layers and protecting the head are so important. And you do warm up quickly. :)
This discussion has been closed.