Dogs

Options
2»

Replies

• NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    German Shephards are sweet, loyal, lovable, always ready to run, and great guard dogs!

I had several lab mixes, and a small dog, but my husband convinced me to get a German Shepherd, and he was right. Just like the previous poster said. She is sweet, smart, even keeled, and ready to go trot for a brisk walk as long as I can go in any weather. Way more sense than my other dogs combined! Quick learner! Excellent with kids. I went through http://www.petfinder.com/index.html and noticed the rescue groups listed under certain dogs. Found a group and did all the screening involved. They allowed me to go see only the dogs that matched with my needs. The rescue dogs that fit are so loving, loyal, and grateful! Do consider that! Someone probably paid bunches for this dog and put her in a shelter. The foster's from the rescue group that got her from there destressed her, vetted her, then assessed her personality and matched her up. Sooo going to do this again and again!!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    We just got 2 boxer puppies! If you want not too big but energy to spare these guys are a great dog.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have a beautiful little Shih Tzu. She is small (11 lbs) but she doesn't have a lot of energy. She is only 1-1/2 years old and when I throw the frisbee in the backyard she is pooped after 3 throws!!! LOL!! :laugh:

100892.png
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    As a doggy mom of 3 multi-cultural canine Americans, as well as an adoption counselor at a local 'no-kill' shelter, PLEASE check out dogs that are available at your local shelter. Also, don't just 'meet' them in their kennels. Have the shelter people get them out of their kennel, take them outside if possible, and get to see more of their personality. Shelter dogs are notorious for being barking fools in their kennels inside the facility because they equate people walking through with excitement. That may not be the dog's true temperament when taken out of the kennel.

Also, if you want a running companion, please don't start running with a puppy. A puppy's bones/joints are fully developed/closed until they are well over one year of age, and running longish distances with a younger dog (under a year) can cause issues with joint development.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    SIBERIAN HUSKY OR A ALASKAN MALAMUTE!!!!!

I have aHusky and she is awesome. But a bit big. We actually have a pack, chocolate lab, husky and golden retreiver chow mix.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    Australian Cattle Dog / Blue Heeler :)
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    best dog in the world is the puggle... pug + beagle = snuggly + high energy

you can see pictures of my puggle under my pictures.. i will never get another type of dog :-)
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I love Dobbermans. Smart, loyal, easy to train, great family dogs, and I gaurantee no one will mess with you while running next to her/him. :-)
  • stephaniee36
    Options
    i vote boxer. I have 2, they are high energy. Both of mine are rescues. whatever you get RESCUE!!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Since you've got hot summers, be sure to research dogs that can endure exercise in such temps....

I'm in Texas and love taking out my Catahoula Cur dog Mac (the heartbeat of our family) & Twink the sweetest Heinz 57 (lab, beagle, pit) she has an endless smile and dances the day thru :bigsmile:

Both were rescued. Twink was already a few months old and stole our hearts with her sweet disposition and radiant energy....
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you cant go wrong with a Golden Retriever!!

Agreed!! I love my retriever, I have a collie retriever cross as well and they both have tooooooooooons of energy

I volunteer 3 days a week at the SPCA though and agree with sillygoose, go check out a shelter first you would be amazed by the amount of dogs that are just perfect there, well trained, friendly, just all around awesome!

Decide if you want lots of energy in a big body, or focused energy! My X brought me home the most energetic dog (Lab mix) and it nearly drove me crazy! I had a lab-doberman mix next and huge difference!! That dog had sense and smarts, not just licking jumping knocking us down energy, and we could do things together!