No shame.....antidepressant meds

Options
2»

Replies

• shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    . He also explained that welbutrin helps suppress appetite, but not to go below 1,000 calories a day, as the combination may cause seizures.

Seriously? My doctor put me on Welbutrin because I told him I would prefer something that didn't cause a lot of weight gain, since I had lost a bunch before I went to see him, but he never mentioned that. I am going to have to make a phone call and do some research.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i was on sertraline and serqul but have come off them since i hated the effects they were having on me am now learning to deal with everything without meds( my own personal choice) they were having an effect on my weight mostly because i was zonked out most of the time good luck with everything
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was on celexa for five months and just yesterday switched over to prozac because i was exhausted all of the time and it corresponded to when i went up to 40mg. Anti-depressants helped me to actually get out of bed and actually go to the gym. I find that going to the gym really helps with my depression and regulating my moods.

Anorexia and bulimia a lot of the time are comorbid with depression and that may be why doctors will prescribe an anti depressant for them.
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    i'm on citalopram 40mg, i dont think its hindering my weight loss, the only thing is it makes me a bit sleepy which makes it harder to get motivated to work out, but better than the complete mess i am when i'm not on it!!
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was on Prozac for about 2 months and had an AWFUL experience with it. I'm pretty sure I gained weight on it and it changed me completely. I also had a traumatic experience with withdrawal effects after I stopped taking it.

I'm now on Wellbutrin and it suppresses my appetite a lot and I believe it is helping, not hurting, my weight loss.