TIME

Options

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't live with my boyfriend so I have to do my own washing and cleaning.

So you're doing laundry and cleaning the house every single day?? I do laundry once a week (on the weekend typically)and my gym clothes every day. Washing the gym clothes doesn't take all night.

Why not dedicate a few hours on the weekend and make/package all your lunches so you just grab-and--go in the morning? What time do you have to be at work for and is the gym close to your work? If it is then you can certainly suck it up and get up earlier in the morning and go to the gym a few times during the week.

You say your run 30-40 minutes. Is that a day? If it is then I'm not getting the lack of time thing because you don't need to workout for 2+ hours a day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually ask for help as such I asked how people manage to fit in their epic gym sessions

I fit in my "epic gym sessions" by not making excuses. It's obviously not for you, so good luck.

Come back when you are an adult with adult responsibilities. You are not at 21

WOW!!!! Assume much???? :noway: :noway: :noway:

I'm curious as to at what point you reach "adult responsibility" stage?

I mean is there a check list for that?
    I'm 30- work 3 jobs and train as a semi professional dancer AND work out.

But I have no kids- no house- and few pets- and a reasonably short commute so I am guessing I don't qualify for "adult responsibility" level.

(although- thank god- I'm so not an adult- I hate being one of those- they are stuffy and boring... and they have things like bills to pay- and that sucks)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm unemployed with no life and friends. All I do is watch Netflix and YouTube videos, so I walk while watching. Not fast walking, mind you, but about 10 hours of walking every day. Better than sitting on my butt and fighting with myself to not eat.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

So you're doing laundry and cleaning the house every single day?? I do laundry once a week (on the weekend typically)and my gym clothes every day. Washing the gym clothes doesn't take all night.

Why not dedicate a few hours on the weekend and make/package all your lunches so you just grab-and--go in the morning? What time do you have to be at work for and is the gym close to your work? If it is then you can certainly suck it up and get up earlier in the morning and go to the gym a few times during the week.

You say your run 30-40 minutes. Is that a day? If it is then I'm not getting the lack of time thing because you don't need to workout for 2+ hours a day.

I run 30-40 minutes every night. I have a gym routine that I love which is about 2 hours long but I just can't do it atm.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    I didn't actually ask for help as such I asked how people manage to fit in their epic gym sessions

I fit in my "epic gym sessions" by not making excuses. It's obviously not for you, so good luck.

I'm almost 40 and even when I worked for a company (I work for myself now) I was still able to work out every day. My office had a fitness center in the building and I'd either get up early and get to the gym for 6:30 am, work out at lunch or hit it after work. Even when I did my 4 ten hour days every few weeks I'd STILL get up early, hit the gym before work.

So yeah, if you want to work out bad enough you will find the time and a way to do it. I'm betting that you have loads of down time in your day where you can fit something in.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Okay firstly I shoot you down as you tried to say I can manage on less sleep I CAN'T it's not that I don't want to I CAN'T I have had to put this in caps as you do not seem to understand this.

I am alot older than you and I cannot function on less sleep so getting up 30 mins earlier is not an option please stop banging on about it.

Washing sports bras was a suggestion someone said about only doing laundry once a week I obviously wash other things and they need ironing etc which I physically have to be there to do.

Wind down time cannot be cut down it's the time I need prior to going to sleep it's about half an hour.

Core is one of the most important parts of my exercise routine due to major back issues.

What would you call an epic gym session?

It's just I see all these people who spend 4 hours at the gym or burn my whole calorie allowance in a workout.

No one is doing 4 hours gym sessions everyday. If I wanted to I do the same on weekends. There is no point to doing excessive working out. I have got better result my third attempt from second attempt and I cut my workouts down 50%. My intensity has increased. I do a 4 minute HIIT cardio burn that leaves me drenched.
    Yes - I did the same thing! Not only does it work better but it now saves me tons of time! I was way too hung up on 60 min. cardio sessions. When I switched to lots of weight lifting and HIIT my body (and life) changed. For the better, of course!
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

I run 30-40 minutes every night. I have a gym routine that I love which is about 2 hours long but I just can't do it atm.

What the heck are you doing for 2 hours at the gym? I mean seriously. I am at the gym for 75 minutes max most days. When I worked out at the fitness center in my office I had limited time and I was able to bang out a really good lifting session in less than hour. Seriously, what are you doing that takes so long?
  • aneary1980
    Options

What the heck are you doing for 2 hours at the gym? I mean seriously. I am at the gym for 75 minutes max most days. When I worked out at the fitness center in my office I had limited time and I was able to bang out a really good lifting session in less than hour. Seriously, what are you doing that takes so long?

1 hour of cardio (40 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on the bike and 10 mins on the cross trainer) it's all interval training. The 20 minutes of weights and 20 minutes of core training then streching. My PT updates it monthly.
  • aneary1980
    Options

I'm almost 40 and even when I worked for a company (I work for myself now) I was still able to work out every day. My office had a fitness center in the building and I'd either get up early and get to the gym for 6:30 am, work out at lunch or hit it after work. Even when I did my 4 ten hour days every few weeks I'd STILL get up early, hit the gym before work.

So yeah, if you want to work out bad enough you will find the time and a way to do it. I'm betting that you have loads of down time in your day where you can fit something in.

The key thing there is that you had the fitness centre in your building if I had that then I probably wouldn't have an issue unfortunatley I don't.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're someone who's really pressed for time, so you may not be in a position to do one of those "epic workouts" you're discussing that are 4 hours long; but realistically, you don't need to either. You can reach high fitness, a healthy weight, whatever your goals are, without putting insanely long workouts in.

Personally, I'm a big fan of workout videos; put in 25-30 minutes and you get a full body workout, some cardio, strength etc; think things like the Jillian Micheals dvds (you can find bootleg copies online), or consider purchasing something like T25 (I've heard amazing things and seen some pretty incredible results both body change and conditioning wise).

It's really about doing what you can in the time you have and making sure that it's as intense as possible.

If you're working a desk job 8 hours a day (which is what it sounds like), consider trading your chair for an exercise ball for at least a few hours a day; you might be the butt of a few jokes initially, but it will help you improve the core muscles that you're worried about. Or stop working through lunch (you're legally entitled to take it), and fit in a short walk or do some strength moves (squats, push-ups, etc) so that you can up your calorie burn and increase your overall activity level.

I'm 21, so I took a little offence to what you said to someone earlier. I am an adult; I work a full time job, I rent the main floor of a house with my SO, I own a car, I have debt from my four year university degree, I have many of the obligations you have, and often I travel out of province for work and have to live in hotels for weeks at a time which presents an even bigger challenge than just not having the time. If I can make it fit by making small sacrifices and changes, I have all the faith in the world that you can as well, you just need t be willing to do them and find which minor switches work for you. Good luck!
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

1 hour of cardio (40 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on the bike and 10 mins on the cross trainer) it's all interval training. The 20 minutes of weights and 20 minutes of core training then streching. My PT updates it monthly.

But you're already running 30-40 minutes a day so why are you doing an additional hour of cardio? Unless I am mistaking this.
  • aneary1980
    Options

But you're already running 30-40 minutes a day so why are you doing an additional hour of cardio? Unless I am mistaking this.

I would like to do my workout but I don't have the time. I just can't work out how people fit it in.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I would like to do my workout but I don't have the time. I just can't work out how people fit it in.

I think what it's coming down to is people have different priorities than you do, which are allowing them to find time that you feel you can't.
    Some people will sacrifice the half hour of sleep, you won't that's fine, it's your body, your decision.
    Others will make meals ahead of time, just not wash their sports bra, etc.
    It's all your decision and the only way you're going to "make time" is to make it a priority over everything else. If you can't do that, talk to your personal trainer and ask him to develop a high intensity plan just for you that will take LESS TIME.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

What are your goals in terms of fitness / strength / physique?

Unless you are training for a specific endurance event then it is unlikely that you need to be doing 1 hr of cardio at each gym session. I would recommend dropping the cardio and focusing on trying to fit in 45 minutes of strength training, 3 x per week. Continue running for 30-40 minutes on non-lifting days if you so wish.
  • aneary1980
    Options

Unless you are training for a specific endurance event then it is unlikely that you need to be doing 1 hr of cardio at each gym session. I would recommend dropping the cardio and focusing on trying to fit in 45 minutes of strength training, 3 x per week. Continue running for 30-40 minutes on non-lifting days if you so wish.

I'm doing a 10k in september. I kinda need to do the cardio
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I think you're aiming to do too much at once, and you certainly don't need to run more than three times a week to train for a 10K. Try something like this. No epic sessions required.

Mon - Rest/stretching
    Tue - Weights and core
    Wed - Run intervals
    Thu - Weights and core
    Fri - Run tempo
    Sat - Weights and core
    Sun - Long run building up to 10K

This is pretty similar to my routine at the moment. I'm also doing a 10K in September.

And that's epic enough for me :happy:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, as so many others have said, it's about priorities. You make time for what is important to you and you sacrifice what you have to in order to do it.

I don't know anyone who works out for 4 hours a day, or honestly even for two hours. That kind of time commitment is certainly not necessary for weight loss! I'm 41. I usually do half an hour on workdays and 45 minutes - 1 hour on the weekend. My apartment is a hot mess because cleaning tends to fall low on my list of priorities. I have been known to re-wear some items because I haven't gotten around to the wash and I ran out of clean clothes :).

At my age, lost sleep does have way more of an effect on me than it used to, but as long as I get enough sleep on most nights, I can wake up a half hour earlier a couple of days a week to fit in a morning workout. If I start to feel like I'm wearing down, I take a couple of days and prioritize sleep over the other stuff. Some things are going to slide, that's life.

Anyway, if you don't have time, you don't have time. No use being jealous of random young people with no responsibilities who can spend all day working out. Most of us are just doing the best we can, that's all you can ask for. No one can get in your head and figure out what part of your life you can make some small sacrifices in to make time for more workouts, but it sounds like that's what you need to do. Or just accept what your life is right now, and look forward to a time when you can do more!
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

If you're already running 40 minutes/day you don't need to do an hour of cardio a day in addition. You can fit both your lifting and your running in. You can fit in your 40 minute run and an hour of lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm doing a 10k in september. I kinda need to do the cardio

the amount of cardio you're doing now is adequate. you do not NEED to be running for an hour and a half or two hours - or even an hour- if you're running regularly for 30-40 minutes- you can completely a 10 K.

secondly

this- I don't get it- we've already said- there is no secret mystery to this- you don't need to "work out how people fit it in"

WE HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU.
    It's a priority for us- so we MAKE time and make sacrifices to make it so.

That is all there is to it.

And if you don't want to do that- you don't have to- no one is forcing you to or saying you're wrong for doing what you're doing. Stop sweating it so much.
  • aneary1980
    Options

If you're already running 40 minutes/day you don't need to do an hour of cardio a day in addition. You can fit both your lifting and your running in. You can fit in your 40 minute run and an hour of lifting.

It isn't in addition it's because I can't fit it in. Please can you tell me where I can fit in the hour of lift when I can only just fit in 40 mins of running.