Eliptical vs. Treadmill or Jogging

Options
I am curious which is a better and more efficient work out, the eliptical or treadmill (jogging)? My work out time is limited so I just want the most out of what time I have.

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Jogging outside. I hate ellipticals, but they're ok for people with pre-existing knee conditions. Treadmill is better than elliptical, but not as good as getting out in the fresh air and running.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I get bored with the eliptical. I LOVE a good treadmill/outside jogging work out. Google search treadmill interval work outs for some quick calorie burning!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,434 Member
    Options
    I burn way more calories doing an interval run outside than I do on the elliptical. Treadmill is about the same as outside for me because I live in Florida where it is FLAT and on a treadmill I can get some hills. (I use a HRM so have the actual calories burned for me). But, I have to really balance how often I do it, because it does hurt my knees to run. That's partly why I do intervals, to give my knees a break. You can't beat how much nicer it is outside though, especially if it's nice weather and a pretty view.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    According to my BodyMedia FIT I burn more calories jogging (or walking briskly) than I do on the treadmill. I know it certainly feels like more of a workout when I'm jogging - I sweat more and feel it more in my body. I find it more interesting (less boring) to jog outside, too. I'll switch up between the elliptical and jogging on the treadmill when the weather's bad, but I'd rather be jogging outside.
  • Roobean33
    Options
    I think running is more calories for your time if you can stay a consistent pace. Elliptical is just plain easier in my opinion, but a nice option for days after long runs. If you increase the resistance, you can burn about 100 calories/10min.

Oh and your profile picture with your son on your chest is SO cute.
  • kcrino2002
    Options
    So far it looks like jogging is the way to go. I suppose I will have to start of easy and work my way up to some distance and speed so I don't take a knee out or something. May be I will wait for next summer before I do it out side.
  • kcrino2002
    Options
    Thanks for the pic complimant! He is my youngest and is kind of a daddy's boy.
  • DoreenN
    Options
    In my opinion jogging/running is the best cardio you can do. Your gonna burn the most calories in the least time and its really gonna burn away the flab. Running outside is better than running on a treadmil because you have the natural incline of the road, but if your like me and live in a place where you can't always run outside due to weather the treadmil is the next best thing. Just set it at an incline of at least .5 and go from there.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I get more out of the treadmill. However about a month ago I switched from doing a 3 mile run (I try to do it in under 27 minutes) to interval running (still doing 3 miles. I sweat more and get more out of it.
    Run at 6.5 for 2 min then at the 2 min mark sprint at 9.5 or 10 for 30 seconds, then back to 6.5 for 2 min and continue for 18 minutes.
    then slow to 2.5 let my heart rate drop to 100 and sprint at 10 for 45 sec. do this 3 times.

Your burn the goo thats for sure!