exercise while injured

Options
I tore either my Meniscus or ACL (waiting on an MRI) a few weeks ago. Ive had to completely stop playing soccer and hockey and basically all forms of exercise since then. Does anyone have any exercises I would still be able to do with this injury? I am going stir crazy!!!!

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'd consult with a doctor on that one
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you probably shouldn't do anything until you get your MRI results, a diagnosis, and advice from your doctor. In theory, you might be able to swim or ride a stationary bike. But really your doctor will tell you what you can/can't do once they figure out the extent of your injury, and the course of treatment.

Good Luck!
  • aliackerman
    aliackerman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are a wide variety of chair exercises that you can do for strengthening your upper body. You can also work on your core with situps and crunches.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have arm bikes available.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well, it all depends on how bad the tear is. I tore my meniscus and was still able to ride the stationary bike (I had a minor tear). The stationary bike and swimming are both actually great for recovery and are the two main forms of exercise physical therapists recommend to their ACL/meniscus patients.

I think it's best for you to wait to get the MRI results back and ask your orthopedist to refer you to a physical therapist who can give you proper exercises for treatment.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Wait for the MRI. You don't want to injure it any more, or cause swelling that they will have to wait to reduce in order to fix it.

I tore my meniscus, my son obliterated his ACL in football. I hope that you have done neither of these!

Maybe ask if you can work your upper body, lat pull downs, rows, back , seated biceps and triceps.

Best of luck to you.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for an operation on the 21st...nothing to do but wait. No nothing ... no golf - no cycling - no gym (I have an inguinal hernia)

I am - however - actively planning my recovery routine from 2 to 8 weeks after surgery (and a doc ok) to get back into the swing of things.

My goal is a 3 hour bike ride by the end of September/beginning of October to a small town on the KATY trail - eat lunch - and then decide whether to cycle or throw my bike in the truck and drive back.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    As someone who's had three knee surgeries in the past 4 years, exercise is really limited with ACL injuries, and only slightly less so with meniscus (assuming they're serious enough to require surgery).
    Hopefully you'll get lucky and have a minor meniscus tear that should gradually heal.

When I was waiting for/having/between surgeries, I did some strength training, but basically anything where you're in a seated position, that doesn't put weight through your leg/knee. So for the most part I was always allowed to bike (recumbent only), just the speed and duration I was allowed to do changed.

I'm sure you'll get an athletic therapist/physio therapist at some point in the near future and they'll give you a very specific idea of what you can and can't do for your specific injury. Do what they say because it's really not worth it to have bad knees for life.