SODIUM ADDICT

Options
Hi,my name is Danyell and I am a Sodium Addict (the group responds, "Hi Danyell").

I need help trying to get a good balance in my diet. It seems I crave all things filled with sodium. I put salt on my watermelon, for crying out loud. Really? Yes, I truly do. Thanks to my mama for showing me how it brings out the flavor.

I can pass on sweets all day long. But you put cheese and crackers, chips and dip/salsa, meat sticks, etc. in front of me and all willpower goes straight out the window.

What has helped you? Thanks for any and all advise and tips on trying to get my sodium intake under control.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's all about your willpower. If you want to make the change, you will.

I enjoy salty snacks as much as the next person, but definitely would not use the word 'addict'. Try swapping out high sodium deli meat for its low sodium counterpart. Buy low/no salt crackers. Drink tons of water. Season your food with herbs and pepper instead of salt. Cut out the processed food. There are lots of things you can do. But, at the end of the day it's all up to you.

You can do this!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Everyone who knows what's right puts salt on his watermelon.

Unless your doctor says otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just drink plenty of water.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Could you potentially have low potassium levels? Craving salt can be a symptom of low potassium. If you regularly eat high sodium foods, I'd bet that your sodium levels aren't low - but potassium might be (though I am no medical expert so anyone else educated in the subject feel free to jump in here...). Potassium is not required to be printed on the nutrition label in the US, so it can be very difficult to track how much you're getting.