Partying?

Options
Hey guys, so I'm in college and like to party a bit and of course we all know that makes it SUPER difficult to keep track on your diet and stuff (I just had to log a very embarrassing amount of calories from last night...) and obviously the main solution to that is to not drink and ton of beer/gorge yourself on munchie food... but I'm just curious if there's anyone out there who knows how to cut back but still have a good time at a party?

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with people who don't feel the need to drink in order to have a good time. You can still have a couple of beers/drinks, but it's up to you and only you to pace yourself and not go crazy.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Try a tea party. :bigsmile:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

We're all mad here!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

We're all mad here!

And don't forget the cucumber sandwiches, Hyacinth.
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Used to party every weekend, drink loads and not count a thing... didn't lose any weight, only had a good time, at the time :-)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Drugs have less calories than booz!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You can be sober and still have fun…

Otherwise, limit yourself to 1 or 2 beers/drinks.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What about you choose before you go out how many/ what kind of beers you will have and pre-log it. Also pre-log what you plan to eat (wings, mozarella sticks, pizza). Then do a big workout and log that. Eat a lower calorie breakfast and lunch and see how it all balances out before you go out instead of the "morning after."
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options

We're all mad here!

And don't forget the cucumber sandwiches, Hyacinth.

Yum and BYOS, Bring Your Own Scones/ Scrumpets.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I go out almost every weekend. What I started doing is instead of the 6+ drinks I used to have I now drink water in between so it's cut down to 2-3 drinks. Still quite a few calories but if I know I'm going out I won't eat as heavily during the daytime either.
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No one wants to be sober at a party if they like to drink. :huh:

I say just enjoy it. You're in college. Those memories will be with you for the rest of your life.
  • rjcsonka
    rjcsonka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So the obvious answer is to give up drinking. And I agree with some of the other posters - you CAN have a good time while staying sober. But I gather that's not the answer you're really going for, so my suggestion is to drink lighter drinks, if you can, and plan on a heavier workout (or get it out of the way prior to partying). There's no easy way around it, really...you can't pretend those calories don't exist. You just have to decide if they're worth it (and, let's be honest, sometimes they are).
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I got would consume 1,500+ cals a night in alcohol when I went out drinking the last couple of terms, sometimes 2-3 times a week. I still lost almost 20lbs. It just comes off slower.

If it makes you feel better, make a big effort to eat clean that day and/or exercise when you're planning on drinking, and then again the day after. Or prelog. Or just don't bother logging it at all if it makes you feel guilty. You shouldn't feel bad about enjoying yourself just because it's slowing weight loss a little.

Drink as little or as much as you like. I do, and I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't just because they are obsessing with their intake.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink these days but I partied hard in college too. What I'd suggest is just be strict during the week and then one night a week (Friday / Saturday) just go nuts and don't worry about it. As long as you're strict on the other days, you'll be fine.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Drugs have less calories than booz!

Clearly you are doing it wrong...

hasselhoff-o.gif
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I'm in college and like to party a bit and of course we all know that makes it SUPER difficult to keep track on your diet and stuff (I just had to log a very embarrassing amount of calories from last night...) and obviously the main solution to that is to not drink and ton of beer/gorge yourself on munchie food... but I'm just curious if there's anyone out there who knows how to cut back but still have a good time at a party?

How often do you party? If it is every week - I could see the party night cals wipe out the weeks deficit (at least it certainly can when I go into rockstar mode).

That said - I party probably once a month - sometimes twice a month in summer and can still lose weight if I am on point the rest of the days.

I just let loose, have a great time, don't even consider calories exist and get back at it the next day.

I have been able to (mostly) avoid late night munching after drinking but that was purely a decision I made and stuck too, I have no tips on how to do it.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't generally drink unless it's a camping trip. And when I get together with friends, I have one dark beer (tall one of course) and that is my treat for the weekend :) It's all in moderation and how serious you are about your weight loss and calorie intake.

We will never judge you, you do this on your own pace
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I just finished out university, so I definitely understand the torture that is having that near perfect week food/exercise wise, and then having 9 beers and a giant poutine and feeling like you've undone all of your good work.
    My best advice is to switch to hard liquor; you're going to get your buzz on easier with vodka than you will with beer anyhow, and unless you're willing to drink some pretty nasty light beer, you're better off with the hard stuff. My advice however requires you to use no mix or chaser, so really, that'd be something you'd have to be comfortable with.
  • krio33
    krio33 Posts: 2
    Options
    A couple of things that I do:
    - Alternate drinks with water. Play beer pong, sure, but instead of having the beer in hand plus the beer on the table, hold (and drink) a bottle of water. If you're at a bar, switch off between vodka sodas and just plain soda water. No one will know the difference, you'll still feel like you're participating, and your party will last longer - plus no hangover. If you're embarrassed by it, I always joked "you have to hydrate to dehydrate".
    - If you're the type that goes to the diner at 4 in the morning, order the egg white omelet instead of that stack of pancakes and corned beef hash.
    - The next morning, when it feels like the only thing that will help is a greasy bacon egg and cheese, remind yourself repeatedly that your body is actually craving water. If anything, drink a whole bottle of water, eat ONE piece of toast with half an avocado or peanut butter or almond butter or whatever, and at least another water - then meet up with your friends for the rehash.
  • omyeahyogagal
    omyeahyogagal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can commiserate - I just had to log a ton of extra calories, too.