What should I smoke?

Options

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This thread wasn't at all what i thought...
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Smoked a wild hog at 4th of July... so pork is pretty good....

It was a real ***** to get the rolling paper around it though.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love my smoker....

Smoked chicken:

whole birds brined overnight, use ones around the 5 to 6 pound mark

salt well, about 1/4 cup of salt or so
    2 cups apple juice or cider
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    water to cover

ensure it is mixed well and brine in fridge overnight
    remove the next day, smoke 5 to 6 hours

Pork shoulder:

as stated, good dry rub for at least 24 hours, then smoke for roughly 6 hours, while mopping with an apple cider vinegar mix occasionally

and I could go on and on and on.....
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    A Brisket

texas-style-smoked-brisket.jpg

Brisket is very good and time consuming - I'd definitely get used to the smoker with a couple of other things before jumping into brisket myself - I've seen many a ruined brisket in the early days of learning a smoker
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

That is to kill time while I am smoking the food :)
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    I love my smoker....

Smoked chicken:

whole birds brined overnight, use ones around the 5 to 6 pound mark

salt well, about 1/4 cup of salt or so
    2 cups apple juice or cider
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    water to cover

ensure it is mixed well and brine in fridge overnight
    remove the next day, smoke 5 to 6 hours

Pork shoulder:

as stated, good dry rub for at least 24 hours, then smoke for roughly 6 hours, while mopping with an apple cider vinegar mix occasionally

and I could go on and on and on.....

Please do....more suggestions
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    A Brisket

Brisket is very good and time consuming - I'd definitely get used to the smoker with a couple of other things before jumping into brisket myself - I've seen many a ruined brisket in the early days of learning a smoker

I did a brisket a few weeks ago. It turned out good, not great. It was a bit over cooked and too much smoke flavor. It was still delicious but I have had better
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When we were in Florida we had smoked mackerel. Folks smoke other fish and make dips. Smoked tuna dip is great.

Smoked tuna is the bomb!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I did a turkey last year for Thanksgiving, and it was decent. Gotta work on that one to impart the smoke a bit lighter.

Did a ham for Easter this year and it was absolutely RAVISHED. We had the one I smoked and a good ol' Honey Baked. The smoke one was gone by days end.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Two things I haven't done myself but read about were smoking a pizza and smoked apples.
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    Two things I haven't done myself but read about were smoking a pizza and smoked apples.

Pizza....that sounds interesting
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I've used my smoker for just about anything from Pork-Fish -Beef--Peppers-even Kosher Salt--bugers chicken wings-even hot dogs. I have a Bradely Smoker and I will Usually stop the smoke about halfway thru the cooking time, still gives a nice mellow smoke flavor without the campfire taste. I will also usually use beer in the water bowl to help keep the meat moist.

Luv it
  • Tigg_er
    Options

Haven't tried a pizza yet , but the apples work pretty good and I use them in a baked bbq bean recipe. Gonna give the pizza a shot I think.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This isn't going to sound right considering we are talking about smoking. But, look up some fatty recipes. The bacon wrapped ones are the best.

Here is cheeseburger fatty

fd7d6v.jpg
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    What a dissapointment reading this thread.

BUT ribs, man! MAKE SOME RIBS! :love:
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Oh its just food :(
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    This isn't going to sound right considering we are talking about smoking. But, look up some fatty recipes. The bacon wrapped ones are the best.

fd7d6v.jpg

That I gotta try !
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A Brisket

I did a brisket a few weeks ago. It turned out good, not great. It was a bit over cooked and too much smoke flavor. It was still delicious but I have had better

The most important thing about brisket, to me, is to smoke it low and slow until the internal temp hits 200 degrees. Then, after letting it rest, cut it against the grain, otherwise it will be tough. Leave a good quarter inch of fat cap and smoke it with the fat cap up to let those juices soak through while it smokes. Count on 1.5 - 2 hours per lb with smoke rolling about half of that time.

Are you using briquettes or lump charcoal? I recently switched to lump charcoal and find it much easier to work with. I have a similar little smoker that I modified to control the air flow (and thus the temperature) and recently did 20lbs (four 5+lb roasts) of pork butt for over 15 hours without having to add charcoal or wood for smoke.
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    A Brisket

The most important thing about brisket, to me, is to smoke it low and slow until the internal temp hits 200 degrees. Then, after letting it rest, cut it against the grain, otherwise it will be tough. Leave a good quarter inch of fat cap and smoke it with the fat cap up to let those juices soak through while it smokes. Count on 1.5 - 2 hours per lb with smoke rolling about half of that time.

Are you using briquettes or lump charcoal? I recently switched to lump charcoal and find it much easier to work with. I have a similar little smoker that I modified to control the air flow (and thus the temperature) and recently did 20lbs (four 5+lb roasts) of pork butt for over 15 hours without having to add charcoal or wood for smoke.

I am using briquettes. I have lump charcoal for our smoker at our cabin but I find it burns out much faster than the briquettes
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

fd7d6v.jpg

That I gotta try !

They are awesome. Try it with cheese, pizza sauce, and some pepperoni in it. Awe man. I'm hungry now.