Deli Meat

Options
My sodium intake daily is horrible compared to goal. One major problem is deli meat I get contains a lot of the sodium (and I actually get it at the deli). Is there any suggestions in low sodium deli meats and/or different meats I can cook and cut up for sandwiches?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Any processed meat/cheese is going to be high in sodium. I've seen some lower sodium versions on the shelf but the difference is minimal. Something like 420mg vs 500mg for 2 oz of meat. And there is higher sugar.

I have no health aversions for sodium, so just try to drink extra water on particularly high sodium days.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast, chicken breast, oven roast. Pretty much anything except burger that will hold together can be cooked and sliced for sandwiches.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    just cook your own lunch meats. Some grilled chicken, slice roast beef. You can marinade and season it how you like. Then you can eat it on sandwiches and in salads. It is a lot healthier and more affordable. I make chicken salad with yogurt.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Deli meats and cheese are my weakness and my blood pressure shows it. The lowest sodium I have found so far:

in cheese is low fat lacy swiss @ 60 cal 30 sodium per slice

and in meat is Oscar Meyer oven roasted low fat turkey @ 30 cal and 220 sodium per slice
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've heard the BoarsHead lower sodium deli meats are pretty good. Haven't tried them myself as the places in my area that sell it are out of my way. You have to check labels though - some are only slightly reduced so the price differences might not be worth it.
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It costs a pretty penny, but if you want deli meat without all the salt, get Boar's Head meat. They have low and no salt meat. It's cheapest if you can to buy it by the big piece instead of the pound. It tastes great too!
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've heard the BoarsHead lower sodium deli meats are pretty good. Haven't tried them myself as the places in my area that sell it are out of my way. You have to check labels though - some are only slightly reduced so the price differences might not be worth it.

This

They taste really good, especially the roast beef.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've always stayed away from deli meat because of the sodium but mostly because of the nitrates. The grocery store I go to has in-house, unprocessed roast beef and turkey that is really good. But it's so easy to bake chicken breasts for 30 min at 450 and save for leftovers and sanwiches and salads. I also regularly roast 2 whole chickens (I have a big family) and use the leftovers in the same way. Same thing with pork and beef roasts, and it all freezes well too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast, chicken breast, oven roast. Pretty much anything except burger that will hold together can be cooked and sliced for sandwiches.

This. For example, cooking a turkey breast on the weekend and using it for the rest of the week can work really well.
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Buy a 3-4 pound roast (I buy inside or outside round as the cut)

Cut up some onion slices.

Get some no salt beef broth (about a cup)

Low sodium BBQ sauce

Put onion slices in a slow cooker. Put roast on top. Pour in the 1 cup of no salt beef broth. Slather your roast with low sodium BBQ sauce. Cook on low for 8 and a half hours.

Meat is so tender it literally shreds apart.

Use it as sandwich meat, add your favourite sandwich toppings.

I sometimes add in carrots and potatoes in the slow cooker, if you want those as sides.