What has your weight loss done for you/your overall health?

Options
JG762
JG762 Posts: 571 Member
As I’m sitting here at my desk trying not to go to sleep due to sheer boredom because I'm tired of typing reports I decided to check my pulse. I tend to keep track of it just out of curiosity, before I started losing weight my resting pulse was around 65-70bpm +/-. That was in a situation where I wasn’t doing anything strenuous or agitating, now that I’ve gotten rid of the weight and worked cardio like a crazy person my resting rate is around 52bpm, when I wake up in the morning and check it before I get up it’s in the 48bpm range.
So a near 25% reduction of my heart rate due to weight loss and better health, I call that a win.

What has losing the weight done for you outside of looking or feeling better?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really fall into the "health" category, but I find that I am much more confident, capable and assertive than I was before. I have proof positive that once I make up my mind to so something, I don't have to let anything or anyone get in my way.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea nearly gone (this has made a huge difference), blood pressure considerably lower and a drastic reduction in headache frequency. I need to have my cholesterol checked because a couple of years ago it was already high. Interested to see how that's changed.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    TMI, but I don't think I had a period for over two years (at 300 pounds). Now, I'm "regular". It's like clockwork.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really fall into the "health" category, but I find that I am much more confident, capable and assertive than I was before. I have proof positive that once I make up my mind to so something, I don't have to let anything or anyone get in my way.
    I think this is "health"- it's an improvement in your mental health, which is just as important as your physical health. Well done:)
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Last visit to the doc (about 3 wks ago) my blood pressure was down. I've been in the hypertension range for many years refusing to take meds. Now I'm in the prehypertension range (and the lower end of that) and he was so pleased he didn't even mention meds. Aside from my low thyroid - all my bloodwork came back great, including my cholesterol and triglycerides so he stopped that medication. Yay!

He also did a double take when he saw me in the waiting room and was extremely complimentary of my progress with a huge smile on his face. Double yay!

Another thing that is partly BECAUSE I've lost weight and partly HOW I've lost weight is: I've increased my walks from 1 mile 2-3 times a week to 3 miles 4-6 times a week.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Allowed me to survive a heart tumor and recover from one heart surgery four months earlier than any of the cardiology team thought possible.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know. I haven't been to a doctor since losing about 90-100 lb and at that time everything looked fantastic on my blood work and my vitals were normal. Somehow I was lucky enough not to have a lot of typical weight related health issues. I assume that I'm in better health now, I'd hope so anyway. I know I am stronger and can do a lot more without feeling winded.
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My knee and pelvis problems are almost non existent and because I started eating healthier and reading ingredients I discovered that my "arthritis" was actually a gluten sensitivity thing. I have cut gluten out by more than 80% and feel way more healthy which is leading me to be more physically active which is leading to weight loss
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I no longer snore! :) I hadn't really thought much about my snoring until one day my hubby said I wasn't doing it anymore.

My bad knee isn't really "bad" anymore but more instead has become more reliable.
  • LucreciaSkellenger
    Options
    Definitely Health, I gained 70 pounds with my pregnancy and I am still 40 pounds overweight, I am diabetic (insulin dependant), so the extra weight definitely don't help me.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Off blood pressure meds and my resting heartrate went from around 80 bpm to about 60. I also used to get frequent heart palpitations...they are pretty much gone:)
  • skidd93
    skidd93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Made me have more confidence in myself than ever.
  • glennoxyoung
    Options
    Off blood pressure pills, recurrent pain in shoulder gone, headaches gone, inability to twist round due to shooting pain - gone!!! Need I go on?
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Besides not carrying around a 50 pound bag of whatever, I feel better and have more confidence in myself. I know I am doing the right thing and am very happy with my results. I love going for my checkup and they check the resting pulse and say -- that's right you are a runner.:love:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    No back pain, no knee pain, and more strength and energy than I even had in high school. Not to mention the mental health of feeling and looking better.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

No problem, I'll allow it. :-)
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) in February 2012 (up to that point, no one knew what the hell was wrong with me. They just knew that something was terribly wrong.) Then, with my physiatrists' and occupation & physical therapists okay, I was allowed to exercise. They all agreed that it couldn't hurt. Well, it didn't just not hurt; it helped. I've been going into remission over the last 6 months or so, and am expected to be in full remission by November/December. Hooray!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure was high when I was morbidly obese. Now it's normal or even a bit on the low side. My heart-rate is lower, too. Not quite where I want it, but not 90+ anymore, either.

I have less backaches but I do still have to be careful, I inherited a bad spine and there's not much I can do about that.

My mental health is better. Except constantly having to obsess over food in order to not eat too much of it does get on my nerves.

I don't gasp for air going up and down stairs and my balance is much better, too, so I don't clutch the railing for fear of falling.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @all - I love reading these stories

I have only lost 14 lbs but already

I had my cholesterol checked recently and it was totally normal.
    I sleep through the night more often than not.
    I will run up two flights of stairs and not think about it.
    I was able to run 4.0 miles straight without stopping yesterday.
    I am feeling more confident.
    My closet has "doubled" because I have old clothes I can fit back into!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer diabetic. Was diagnosed in 2012 with T2 and a hba1c of 10+. Have sinced stopped medication, and my hba1c after 4 months without medication is 5.0 which is smack in the middle of the normal range.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!