Digestive health question...

Options
Ok, so, I have a story to give and want to see if anyone can relate. I weighed in at 300+ over the weekend. On Saturday, I let myself go a little...went out to a movie, had a fast food lunch, and some lite tacos for dinner. But, I skipped the evening snack. That night I had some bad cramping and loose movements (I assumed from the milk I had earlier-I have history of lactose intolerance), and around midnight, I woke up with a bad burning in my belly which I assumed was acid reflux..but, I had not eaten in six hours or more. It settled after I sat up for awhile, then I fell back to sleep. Spent the next day feeling very bloated. My weight didn't change, but, Monday came...the bloating was still there, and not as bad. Last night went fairly well-skipped the snack again, except this morning I find myself five pounds lighter than I weighed yesterday. Still somewhat bloated...but...are there any particular dietary changes in skipping snacks or something that could be causing all this?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Two possibilities with the same answer 1) too much salt in the fast food and tacos, 2) slight case of food poisoning. Answer: Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration and flush out excess salt. If you continue to have digestive problems, see your doctor.
  • Perriwen
    Perriwen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So, the losing four pounds overnight isn't cause for alarm?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    At your weight, I wouldn't be worried about dropping 4lbs over night. Honestly, my weight in any given day (especially if I take in a large amount of salt 1-2 days before) can change by up to 7lbs. And that's pretty standard.
    You probably were retaining water from the high sodium, and then it passed through your system/you ate less sodium the next day.
  • Perriwen
    Options
    That does help put me a bit more at ease, thanks!

I am going to see the doctor Monday, anyway, to get the results of my annual blood work, so I may as well bring up the bloating/burning stomach issue.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would say that's more cause for alarm than the weight drop, for sure.
    It certainly could have been something you ate that set your stomach off, but it could be something more serious too. Better safe than sorry! Good luck :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    So, the losing four pounds overnight isn't cause for alarm?

Occasionally, no. Frequently, yes.

I lose ridiculous amounts when Shark Week is finally over, then my weight loss evens out to a more sustainable rate.

If you don't eat fast food regularly, that could be the cause of the bathroom issues, bloating and sudden weight loss.

And if you're lactose intolerant, that could absolutely cause reflux/heartburn as well as the above issues.
  • Perriwen
    Options
    Actually, I've been eating fast food more regularly than I should lately...I didn't used to, though. Saturday was the fast food, Sunday I met family at a eating place and thought I was doing good by ordering grilled shrimp...Monday was some pre-cooked, frozen chicken, and then today I also had some fast food while I was out across town running errands. Maybe I need a few days away from all that to see what happens. x.x
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you might try lactaid fast act when you have dairy. it works for me, and i used to have cramping hours after i had dairy, sometimes the next day.

btw, fast food is sodium rich, so you can easily retain a lot of water. but then eating less salt or eating something like asparagus can have a diuretic effect, and you can lose all of that water very quickly.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've been eating fast food more regularly than I should lately...I didn't used to, though. Saturday was the fast food, Sunday I met family at a eating place and thought I was doing good by ordering grilled shrimp...Monday was some pre-cooked, frozen chicken, and then today I also had some fast food while I was out across town running errands. Maybe I need a few days away from all that to see what happens. x.x

That's a good idea - and make sure you're drinking lots of water!
  • Perriwen
    Options
    Ok, so...having my sister-in-law, who is a medical book editor, suggest colon cancer certainly wasn't a help. I would like to think I am too young...but, it got me thinking.

Now, I am dreading that appointment.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ok, so...having my sister-in-law, who is a medical book editor, suggest colon cancer certainly wasn't a help. I would like to think I am too young...but, it got me thinking.

Now, I am dreading that appointment.

Colon cancer? HIGHLY unlikely.

What is likely is that your stomach issues are the result of all the fast food you ate.
  • Perriwen
    Options
    That's what I am hoping. But, when she showed me the symptoms, it was, like '...I have almost all of those.'. Like I said, going to try a few days with more healthy food and see what happens. In particular-no beef. I've had that almost every day for the last five days.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    That's what I am hoping. But, when she showed me the symptoms, it was, like '...I have almost all of those.'. Like I said, going to try a few days with more healthy food and see what happens. In particular-no beef. I've had that almost every day for the last five days.

When you look up the symptoms for many medical conditions, you'll find you have all of the symptoms listed. If you get annual blood work, your lab results would have shown an abnormal CBC or abnormal immunoglobulins, etc.