Advice for body recomposition? Ladies?

Options
Hi there!

I've done a crap load of research since I decided to get fit and healthy, and have finally figured out what my end goal is. Lose fat and gain muscle/look like a sexy beast! I'm a petite gal with a small frame at 5'3-ish and 118 lb. Definitely not overweight, but I'm far from happy with how my body looks. For instance, the fat rolls on the tummy and flabby upper arms have always been a source of insecurity. In other words , I'm skinny-fat, since my body just feels soft and squishy everywhere... while my biceps and abs are pretty hard when I flex, most of the time they are invisible. I eat EXTREMELY CLEAN, at about 1200 cals a day, and do body weight strength training 6 times a week for 40 minutes. Very minimal cardio, maybe only once a week. What do you guys think of this regimen?

My main questions are about diet and exercise (how typical haha). Calorie wise, should I eat at maintenance or at a deficit? I'm a beginner, so I hear that's a "holy grail" period when losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously is possible while in a deficit. True of false?

Oh, and a question out of curiosity, has anyone in my situation had success from using body weight strength training, based on Youtube videos?? Me, I'm seriously in love with Blogilates and do the "toning up" strength videos pretty much every day. It has only been 5 days, so definitely too soon to see results. Anyways, thank you all for taking the time to read this, and best of luck on reaching your own fitness goals!

Jessica

Replies

• BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Re-comp, per the internet: is difficult. eat less:lose weight eat more, get bigger (muscles)

I have been doing 80/20 Cardio/Weights - eating at deficit. As I get closer to goal weight I will begin to transition to 80/20 weights/cardio. with a calories surplus of 5% and will likely change my macros to include more protein. The best article I read was: Why do you think body builders Build then cut.. Its because you cant do both at the same time. I know there are lots of conflicting opinions, I just decided to shed the weight first, and build the muscle after. So far, so good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am hoping you will get some more technical replies. That said, you already said you are not overweight, so eating at a deficit is not what you want to do. It sounds to me like you need to eat more food and lift heavier weights.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm just bumping this for you, but I agree with MB.
  • GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congratulations on your decision to become more fit and firm! Lucky you that you don't have a lot of fat to lose.

I'm no expert, but have had a lifetime of experience. I've always worked out, and have had 3 personal trainers over the years. I think you need to lift heavy weights to improve your body composition. Since you like YouTube, I suggest you check out Amanda Latona's videos. Don't worry about getting too muscular. . . it's really, really hard for a woman to do that without some kind of special supplementation. Really, there is no "toning". You're either adding / strengthening muscle or not. Lifting heavy and eating right is the only way to add muscle. Be careful to not injure yourself. Build gradually. Educate yourself about lifting. . there's a lot of information on the internet, in books, or if you can afford it, hire a good personal trainer to help you.

As far as diet, I don't think you'll add any muscle at 1,200 calories a day. You need to eat more, and probably be in surplus. What you eat is crucial. You've got to have the protein there in order to add muscle. You might gain weight. Don't freak out . . . remember that you want the muscle, and it's heavier than fat. Have fun, and good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Body recomposition is where you eat close to your TDEE (the number you should be maintaining at) and following a solid lifting program. If you are new to lifting you will see beginner gains, but you are at the point where you should slowly increase your calories. This isn't going to be an overnight process, it will take months of hard work.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I am hoping you will get some more technical replies. That said, you already said you are not overweight, so eating at a deficit is not what you want to do. It sounds to me like you need to eat more food and lift heavier weights.

I agree. My goal is similar to yours, I'm 5' tall, 126# and would like to lose fat while keeping what muscle I already have. I'm currently eating 2000-2300 cal/day (maintenance) but I'm trying to decide whether I should start to cut or just keep things the way they are.

Weight training is going well so far & well...I'm interested in answers too :blushing:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I agree. My goal is similar to yours, I'm 5' tall, 126# and would like to lose fat while keeping what muscle I already have. I'm currently eating 2000-2300 cal/day (maintenance) but I'm trying to decide whether I should start to cut or just keep things the way they are.

Weight training is going well so far & well...I'm interested in answers too :blushing:

For women the general suggestion is to cut fat when you are between 23-25% for body fat. I got uncomfortable at 21% and started my cut early.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I am not so fond of weight training. I prefer Yoga and stretching because I want a lean long body, not a bulky one.

There is a lady on PBS Miranda Esmond White who does a morning routine, which helps me very much and I am much older than you but the same size.

http://classicalstretch.com/miranda.htm
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been recomping for the past year. My weight has stayed the same (128-130#), but my muscle definition and body fat have changed. To the point people comment on how different I look even though I'm the same weight.

Eat at maintenance, which for me is around 2000-2200 cal/day, and lift heavy. Be patient.

I've taken my recomp as far as I want. Goal is to cut a few more lbs to 125-127 and then bulk. My current bodyfat is 18.9% per bodpod. If I drop 3-5 more lbs it'll probably be closer to 17%. At that point, I'll be comfortable doing a slow bulk over the winter and then cut again in March. Currently I am firm and you can begin to see my abs. However, I won't get the figure I'd like unless I build more muscle, specifically abs and glutes. At the rate I've recomped, it would probably take another couple years to get what a slow lean bulk will accomplish in six months.

So to the OP. If you're all over soft, a recomp is probably a good idea. For a year or so. Then you can reassess. The other option is to cut down a little more to reduce bodyfat and then bulk.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am not so fond of weight training. I prefer Yoga and stretching because I want a lean long body, not a bulky one.

There is a lady on PBS Miranda Esmond White who does a morning routine, which helps me very much and I am much older than you but the same size.

I wanted to jump all over you for saying you are not fond of weight training and that you want to be long and lean and not bulky, because weight training does not make women bulky UNLESS they are trying to get bulky and even then, it'll take YEARS.

But I can't. I just clicked on your profile and you are 69 years old. And you are rocking the road bike. And you are inspirational, just because. You rock.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You should have a look at waldo's site - strengthunbound.com (I think). He looks fabulous using bodyweight stuff.

Working up gradually to maintainence is a good idea and you can decide where you want to go from there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose any more weight, so you do not need to be eating at a deficit.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Weight training isn't going to make a woman bulky. Sorry.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Body recomposition is where you eat close to your TDEE (the number you should be maintaining at) and following a solid lifting program. If you are new to lifting you will see beginner gains, but you are at the point where you should slowly increase your calories. This isn't going to be an overnight process, it will take months of hard work.

This is what I was going to say, but usmcmp is way more experienced in this than I am.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Sigh. I'd love a bulky body. Unfortunately, it is very very hard to get one, even for men.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend eating at maintenance and lifting. Make sure you're getting about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Increase your calories slowly, but still realize that you may put on a couple pounds of water weight at first.

I don't know about the body weight aspect-- I go for the heavy weights.

Here are my results from 18 months of doing the above (it's a slow process):

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png

afc9bfa1-91d1-4125-981e-4815e3932ed7_zps6606460a.png
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Eat at TDEE. If you were overweight, then eat at a very slight deficit. You are NOT overweight, so should not be eating at a deficit. Concentrate on the FOOD vs. calories. Get a handle on what your TDEE is. I'm pretty sure it will be higher than 1200 cals.

Lift HEAVY. Heavy is a relative term. Heavy means challenging for you. You must train so that you are challenging your muscles. Training is different than exercising - you will need to push past your comfort zone. Progressively consistently train - lift heavy. Eat at TDEE. Concentrate on protein. Keep your carbs complex. Have some healthy fats from whole foods. Stay the course. Your body WILL transform. It is a slow process, but it will happen.

Get After It !
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

I've been lifting heavy weights at the gym for the past year and eating at maintenance. I try to eat a gram of protein per pound of weight so am aiming for 130 grams of protein a day. I weightlift 2-3 times a week, and I try to lift as heavy as I can.

I weigh more than you do and am 5'4". I've added some pictures below; I weigh the same amount (~130 pounds) in the middle and right pictures, but as you can see my body has changed a fair amount over the past year. I have more muscle, look more toned, and feel great.

1_zps14437a55.png

Good luck on your journey, there's a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women that I found helpful to get my head wrapped around this strength training business.

Emma
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for all the replies, you beautiful people!! Keep up the amazing work, you guys are so inspiring :)

I've adjusted my goals to be eating at maintenance and starting to lift weights. This will be my first time in the weights section at my gym so... here goes nothing! Could anyone give some advice as to what a COMPLETE BEGINNER should start out with?

Thanks a bunch! xoxo
    Jessica
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    eat at maintainance, lift very heavy weights. wait. and wait. it will eventually happen.

Look.... I weighed in at a 150 lbs this morning and am a size 6. I started two years ago at 156 and a size 12. (I just finished a bulk where I gained 10 lbs, but I recomped before this)

It's totally possible, and some people will advise you to cut, and then bulk, but I think recomping is just fine. It just takes a while.

Good luck. Send me a PM if you have questions.