Little and often exercise

Options
Hey Guys.

I have a question that may seem a little silly but if anybody is able to clarify this for me, I would be grateful.

I am not physically fit. I can walk at a moderate pace for ages but when I try to up the intensity, I end up with my whole body and insides physically hurting.
This includes strength type exercises too. If I try to do a lot of repetitions, my muscles are painful.

If I do say 3 minutes cardio every 10 minutes for an hour is this the same as going 15 minutes non stop
Or
If I do 2x10 strength exercises every 5 minutes for half hour is this the same as going 10x10 continuously?

Thank you =)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well exercise isn't supposed to be EASY.

That's why it's called work.

You're still going to get something out of several cardio sessions- but I would recommend working on walking- and then stopping- then walking some more. Rather than trying to really break it apart- work on making the one session better rather than trying to break it up and make it less miserable. Try to walk at moderate pace- then up it for 30 seconds- then back down- do some interval training. Only way to get better is push outside the comfort zone!

Do the best you can- because something is better than nothing.

And if you're really in pain pain- you should see a doctor- one of the things you'll have to sort out as you get re-acquainted with your body is what is muscle pain that's saying "oh this hurts because I'm lazy and not used to it" verses "oh this hurts because I'm in pain and I'm going to do serious damage"

Knowing the difference between just hurting and being in pain is important. I
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

I know it's not meant to be easy, I like the muscle ache exercise brings for me it means I have achieved something.
    When I talk about pain I mean not being able to walk or my stomach cramping or not being able to turn my head.

I need to start being more in tune with my body. I just don't know how.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

When I talk about pain I mean not being able to walk or my stomach cramping or not being able to turn my head.

I need to start being more in tune with my body. I just don't know how.

Have you seen a doctor for any of that? I get stomach cramps when running sometimes, but the rest probably needs to be checked out.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Honestly... no I haven't.
    I just put it down to being fat and unfit.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. Intensity will improve your physique, endurance, and overall health. If you just want to burn some calories, you can go for a long walk instead.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree you should see a doctor before starting any exercise routine but in your case it sounds like you really need to. I was 240 and didn't have those kind of pains.... yes pains but not that kind. Walking is all I did in the beginning, just increasing the distance. Good luck.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, splitting up your exercise will have a different effect than doing one continuous exercise. Your heart rate will be lower and you'll probably burn less calories by splitting up your exercise, however that's still better than nothin!

I started running with my girlfriend and she couldn't run longer than 2 minutes continuously. We started by running for 2 minutes, then walk for 2 minutes, then run for 3 minutes, then walk for 2 minutes, then run for 4 minutes.... you get it right? We would do this every other day or say and build up the times as she progressed. Anyways after a month or so she was able to run for 20+ minutes continuously!

Definitely see your doctor if the pain is extreme. If you have a heart condition you need to be careful.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Honestly... no I haven't.
    I just put it down to being fat and unfit.

Even if this might be the case, it's always worth getting a doctors opinion.

If walking is making it difficult to turn your head, it could be spinal. You want to get this checked out. There's no reason for your neck/head to hurt when you're using your legs to do the work.