What good is a Fit Bit?

Options
2»

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and haven't had any problems with false steps resulting from driving. I did try wearing it on my waist while cycling and got a bunch of unwanted false steps, so I don't wear it when cycling any more.

A Fitbit is no good for calorie estimates while weight lifting. Nor is a HRM; HRMs are designed for steady-state cardio, not the brief periods of intensity followed by long periods of rest associated with weight lifting. But I can tell you what they are good for:

This morning I got up and did a one hour upper body workout. Since there's no way to get a good, accurate estimate for the calorie burn, I plug in 200 calories. That might be a little off, but I don't think it's off by more than 100.

I then ran for 2.5 miles. MapMyRide credited me with 277calories for my run, which I think may be a little high, but it all balances out by the end of the day.

Since then I've walked another 6.5 miles. Between MFP and Fitbit, my calorie estimate for those 6.5 miles is 480, or 74 calories per mile. That estimate is a little low and should probably be somewhere between 80 and 100, but that's okay too. Like I said, it all balances out by the end of the day. I'll probably get in a couple more walking miles before the end of the day.

It's that last part that's important. Before I bought a Fitbit, I used to work out in the mornings and then figure I was done for the day. My Fitbit made me realize I am very sedentary when I'm not purposely exercising. My Fitbit motivates me to be active throughout the day and to find excuses to walk at every chance I get. Before Fitbit, I might've been getting in a mile after my workout.

And the best part -- it's nice to have an extra 500 to 800 calories deficit that I can eat back or leave as a deficit. Most days I just eat part of it back.