help, not losing weight

Options
I have been dieting and exercising for a few weeks and have not lost anything. I eat around 1300 calories and am doing Jilliean Micheal's body revolution and sometimes I also do 35 minutes on the elliptical. I have always had problems losing and am getting depressed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    could be all the exercise all of a sudden is making you retain water..which is typical when people start exercsing.
  • SMKalienyouth
    Options
    I am the same way. It has been suggested that I am not eating enough protein or potassium. Both plus other nutrients can help with mood. Still struggling myself, just keep trying.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    are you measuring all the food you eat with an accurate digital scale?
  • Kristin_1979
    Kristin_1979 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue... I am not working out every single day (like I want to) but it is because I work full time (even over time) and during those times I am conscious of the foods I am eating and my biggest offender is sodium (which makes you retain more water) I recently (within this last year quit smoking after 17 years and within the last 6 months have changed my diet to vegetarian (with the exception of some fish here and there for help with protein)

I am having such a hard time! I am drinking lots of water, cut out most sugars, watch carbs, increased fiber intake, an tell watch proteins, watch fats. When I do work out (usually 2 -3 times per week) it is very rigorous with 1/2 -45mins of cardio, 1/2-45mins of strength training and then I do sauna, swimming (laps) I usually spend about 3-4 hours at the gym when I am there and I am working HARD! My clothes are not budging... I do not weigh myself, scales are evil. But I can tell by my clothing that I am not losing... Very frustrating :( Even depressing... HELP!
  • lafilledelarue
    lafilledelarue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugar, wheat, and flour. Try eating 2000 calories per day. I bet the pounds will start coming off.
  • maryquitecontreras
    Options
    Can you give us any other information like height/weight/age? There are many contributing factors to weight loss. Also, how accurately are you measuring your calorie intake? Are you using measuring cups, spoons, scales for absolutely everything you eat?
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    happened to me too! then,, a month later, I gave up for a week and was angry at myself, so I weighed in to see how much i gained... And I had lost 5lbs WITH the food I had eaten!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugar, wheat, and flour. Try eating 2000 calories per day. I bet the pounds will start coming off.

wut?
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There are SO many factors to this.
    1. How much weight do you have left to lose? If you set your goal to lose 2lbs per week, and you don't have over 75lbs to lose, then you're doing it wrong.
    2. Are u weighing all your food with a digital scale?
    3. Why are you not eating back your exercise calories back? MFP already factors in your deficit to lose weight in your original calorie goal, it is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back.

Here are a few helpful posts.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1343719-get-rich-quick?hl=get+rich+quick
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I lost 4 pounds in the beginning and now, nothing. I'm doing 1200 calories and am 5'2". I'm going to keep at it though.
  • jeforman
    jeforman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
    I weigh and measure my food.
  • jeforman
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I lost 4 pounds in the beginning and now, nothing. I'm doing 1200 calories and am 5'2". I'm going to keep at it though.
    I am glad that I am not alone. I am also 5'2" and just want to lose 10 pounds. I will still be overweight but that is ok. I am not looking to get "thin", just healthier.
  • Barbellarella_
    Options
    I am glad that I am not alone. I am also 5'2" and just want to lose 10 pounds. I will still be overweight but that is ok. I am not looking to get "thin", just healthier.

Well than you aren't eating enough. If you only have 10 pounds to lose, you need to set your goal to .5 or 1 lb a week, and start eating back your exercise calories. You will start losing if you do that IMO.
  • jeforman
    Options

Well than you aren't eating enough. If you only have 10 pounds to lose, you need to set your goal to .5 or 1 lb a week, and start eating back your exercise calories. You will start losing if you do that IMO.

I am 5'2" and weigh 161, so I actually have more than ten pounds to lose, but I would be happy with just ten. I am 53 and know that the older I get the harder it is to lose! I am used to the old school thought that to lose, you have to eat less. If I am going to eat more calories, how much more and I assume protein? If I eat back my exercise calories, how will I lose?
  • Barbellarella_
    Options

I am 5'2" and weigh 161, so I actually have more than ten pounds to lose, but I would be happy with just ten. I am 53 and know that the older I get the harder it is to lose! I am used to the old school thought that to lose, you have to eat less. If I am going to eat more calories, how much more and I assume protein? If I eat back my exercise calories, how will I lose?

Can you please read those posts I linked above? Here they are again. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1343719-get-rich-quick?hl=get+rich+quick
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    You will still lose because MFP has already included your caloric deficit in your goal, before exercise like I stated before. You are meant to eat those calories back.

heres one that explains exercise calories http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Barbellarella_
    Options
    I just ran your numbers.. I will PM you.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Give it time and be patient.3 weeks is not long enough to see difference. It took me 2 months to start feeling difference and see the difference:flowerforyou:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything, including drinks?

How long have you been at this weight? It could be water weight. Take a recovery week from exercise or eat at maintenance for a couple of days and the water weight should come off. If that doesn't help then either you're eating more than you think (no or very low deficit) or have a medical condition and should see a doctor.

Exercise calories... if you choose to eat them back, make sure that you know exactly how many calories were burned. MFP and gyms usually overestimate. I usually advise people to eat back no more than half just in case they underestimated food and overestimated calories burned. Only if you know for sure that you ate what you ate and burned what it says you burned, should you eat back all those exercise calories, especially if you have not much to lose... every calorie counts toward the end, no wiggle room like the people who have a lot to lose.

Make sure you do not eat less than 1200 calories per day. That is considered a very low calorie diet and is not sustainable long term, meaning you will almost certainly gain the weight back when you switch to maintenance.

Also, make sure your activity level is correct. If you do physical activity normally (something that isn't measured, because most exercise should be logged) you need to set your activity to the appropriate level to allow yourself to eat more calories.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

If you are on your last 10 pounds, please be warned that the weight loss can often be painfully slow. 0.5 lb/week is a goal but even that can be high for some people. If you weight is close to your goal then that means your TDEE is low and it's difficult to get a deficit while maintaining proper nutrition.
  • jeforman
    Options
    Are you logging everything, including drinks?

How long have you been at this weight? It could be water weight. Take a recovery week from exercise or eat at maintenance for a couple of days and the water weight should come off. If that doesn't help then either you're eating more than you think (no or very low deficit) or have a medical condition and should see a doctor.

Exercise calories... if you choose to eat them back, make sure that you know exactly how many calories were burned. MFP and gyms usually overestimate. I usually advise people to eat back no more than half just in case they underestimated food and overestimated calories burned. Only if you know for sure that you ate what you ate and burned what it says you burned, should you eat back all those exercise calories, especially if you have not much to lose... every calorie counts toward the end, no wiggle room like the people who have a lot to lose.

Make sure you do not eat less than 1200 calories per day. That is considered a very low calorie diet and is not sustainable long term, meaning you will almost certainly gain the weight back when you switch to maintenance.

Also, make sure your activity level is correct. If you do physical activity normally (something that isn't measured, because most exercise should be logged) you need to set your activity to the appropriate level to allow yourself to eat more calories.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

If you are on your last 10 pounds, please be warned that the weight loss can often be painfully slow. 0.5 lb/week is a goal but even that can be high for some people. If you weight is close to your goal then that means your TDEE is low and it's difficult to get a deficit while maintaining proper nutrition.
    I should lose 25-30 lbs, but since I have such a hard time losing, I just want to start with 10 lbs. I use a HRM when exercising and according to that, I burn approx 200 calories /30 min jillian michaels body revolution workout and 220-250 on the elliptical (35 min). I weigh and measure my food and only cook low cal. I have to add more healthy oils but don't know what else to add. I know it sounds strange but after years of eating low cal, it is difficult to eat more. My weight gain is from vacations and I don't watch what I eat ( who wants to do that on a cruise!). I come home and have trouble getting the vacation weight off and then go on vacation again. Notice a cycle?