They called me fat and I don’t even care.

Options
Suedre
Suedre Posts: 435 Member
So I was out running sprints tonight and I usually use a long straight away in front of my house. It’s close, it has a nice sidewalk and a it’s a fairly flat area for the full 400 meters. I know it looks crazy to the neighbors to watch me walk up the slight hill then run down it with everything I have six or eight times. Fact of the matter is, I don’t give a crap what they think, I’ve shaved my pace time by 30 seconds in two weeks. Anyway, point of the story…

The neighborhood kids were hovered around in the cul-de-sac and I could hear them yelling every time I ran by, but I couldn’t hear what they were actually saying with my ipod drowning them out. I figured as long as they weren’t waving their arms and chasing me, it must not have been directed at me or they didn’t need anything I should stop for. On one of the last sprints, I got kind of curious and turned the tunes down so I could hear. Turns out, they were yelling nasties calling me a fata$$ and hollering run mrs forrest run. Funny thing is, it didn’t bother me one bit. I mean really. In a way it was kind of funny that they thought they were so clever and I could care less. It occurred to me that I really do know that I’m A.) not fat B.) In the best shape I can be and C.) comfortable with myself. Wow. What a feeling. If that’s not a success, I don’t know what is!

By the way, one of the younger kids literally chased me down yelling m’aam m’aam and when I finally heard him and stopped he apologized profusely for the other’s behavior and said he was sorry and they were mean. He really looked like he was quite embarrassed with the whole situation and I made sure he knew that while they were being jerks, they didn’t bother me and I graciously accepted his apology. I couldn’t help by give them all a s**t eating grin that said “I don’t care about you” on my way back into the house. :)

Replies

• kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :)
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I'm glad that there was one boy that had the courage to stand up and apologise for his friends' behaviour. I think a lot of adults would struggle with that.

Well done for being happy in yourself and not caring. I hope to follow you to that place one day.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Wow .. kids can be mean .. even though it didn't bother you (which is wonderful) .. makes you wonder how many other ppl they yell nasty things to.
    Good for you!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That's a success if I ever heard one! Your confidence is inspiring. :)
  • tbrough
    tbrough Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A sad example of the general lack of respect kids have these days. The point, though is that you feel good about the direction you are headed, and you handled the situation with class. Good for you!
  • Amboo
    Amboo Posts: 30
    Options
    that is great. To have your self esteem built up like that is a blessing. We are told they are just kids and just words but in reality things like that do hurt people's feelings and for you not to be bothered by it is wonderful.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Sue you are awesome for letting something like that roll of your back so easily. It's sad that kids are taught to be so disrespectful. I'm loving your confidence and attitude!
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Dam Those kids were so cruel!!! That is good that you don't care,I would of feel the same way.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    What the hell is wrong with those kid's parents!?
    Well. At least one of them had manners so the whole neighborhood isn't full of irresponsible idiots.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    kids are horrible. and you aren't even fat >< blech.

good on you for just continuing to drown them out :)

I am glad that there's one kid in the whole group though that has been taught an element of respect.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    What surprises me the most of this whole story is the little boy who followed you and made sure you knew he didn't mean what the other kids were saying. I'm sure that took courage to stand up and tell you that in front of the other kids. I wonder if they picked on him afterwards for it?

I'm really proud of you for feeling so good about yourself. That's an incredible success. I look forward to the day I can say that those comments wouldn't bother me.

I used to be a teacher and one day a little portly girl told me how fat I was. haha.. Honestly, it did hurt my feelings, and mainly because I already felt that way about myself and it was confirmed by a 7 year old!

High five to you my dear!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Little F****ers!! You want me to hunt them down??? Cause I will!! :grumble: Give them a good kick! Then give the boy who appologized a ten spot for being a good boy!

Glad they didn't bother you! I bet the 'old' you would have cared. Good for you for sticking with it and KNOWING that they are just being brats and that it clearly isn't the truth. AND for shaving time off. Such an accomplishment!!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Little F****ers!! You want me to hunt them down??? Cause I will!! :grumble: Give them a good kick!

More important would be to hunt their parents down.
    They are the ones truly responsible for their kids behavior and in need of a lot more than just a kick..
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You know.... they were young and they were boys. You're clearly NOT fat. Maybe they were just bored and wanted to talk to you. Guys never really grow out of that 'teasing girls they like' behavior even as they get older. If it's not your weight, they find SOMETHING.. my husband calls me a "clydesdale" because he says Im so tall and fall in slow motion like the horses. LOL

Glad you didn't take it to heart, most of the boys that tease girls when they're little end up wanting to date them when they get older anyway.. so since they were young, I'd just chalk it up to that. Especially the Forest Gump comments, lol.. clearly you aren't a 40 year old midly retarded man either. So, like I said, I wouldn't even validate it for a split second.
  • amstein18
    Options
    funniest part about this is that you are not even the slightest bit fat!! i have to admit i was curious & looked at your pictures haha.. and wow they are dead wrong & just being typical immature jerks.. probably just to try to impress each other. pathetic.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its good that you're not bothered by what others think - that's what slows us down. Its really hard to ignore the negative stuff sometimes but I look at it this way, no one is perfect but at least I know that even if I do have a fat *kitten* (which I do, and my hubby loves :tongue: ) I have a better character and a kinder heart than anyone who would have the nerve to say something to me. And that will take me a lot further in life than a butt that looks good in skinny jeans.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I admire you for not caring, but the fact that CHILDREN were yelling profanities at you, I would have tracked at least one of them down and told his/her parents. That's TERRIBLE!!!

I just wanted to add, maybe you could have followed the NICE boy home and told his parents what a great job they are doing because of how brave he was.
  • At least one of those kids parents raised them proper! Good on you for not caring though, it's better to just let it slide off then worry about what other people say!
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well you look amazing... Those kids weren't taught how to mind their manners.. I hate parents who don't teach their children the right way....On how to mind others
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall, I felt pretty good about the whole thing when it happened and I'm still glowing a bit. I would have let it get to me six months ago, may have even shed a tear or two over it. I'm just different now and it feels really awesome. :)

RN - I agree. I'm pretty sure I know what house the little boy belongs to and I plan on telling his parents next time I see them. I didnt want to march him over there with the older kids watching and risk making him afraid to do it next time. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!