Life changes...

Options
Well today is my second day using MFP & how eye-opening! Two & a half years ago I went into full force menopause aging 10yrs in a matter of 6 months...NOT pleasant. The only positive to that was I was losing weight like crazy...at least I know I'll be skinny late in life:tongue: Of course I had to go on hormones so that took care of the only positive side effect. Then last year I had 8 bulging discs in my back...oh how wonderful it is to get older:laugh: In fact, it's amazing how I HAVE to get my 8 hrs of sleep per night, definitely can't party the way I did, and certain foods do NOT agree! And now, for the second year in a row I had bronchitis which turned to pneumonia. So I've had it...time to take control across the board! I'm posting this to read it when I get weak. I've smoked since 13yrs old & went cold turkey 11/29/10 8:30am...stay alive to raise the kids & grandkids! Joined MFP to take control of my eating...right now I'm 5'4" & weigh 210lbs...goal is 140lbs & can do it by summertime if I stick to this...go me! Yesterday I ate enough for 3 days...today I only went over 181 calories:bigsmile: Ok, stay strong...and love, joy & peace...

Replies

• fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Wow what a story. Well just consider this as being the beginning of your new life. Praise God for just your decision to make a difference. Good luck on your journey.
  • MarieS1967
    MarieS1967 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow - that is some life story. While I applaud you for looking out for your diet. Focus on the smoke free! That in its self is A LOT of work. Know I am not saying eat what you want - just do baby steps. Make sure you eat the best nutritionally balance breakfast - good proteins. Next focus on eating at least 3 to 4 fruits/vegetables per day and drinking water, then continue from there....

I applaud you for quitting smoking! You can do this....and while it will be hard - it won't be as bad as dying. Good luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you!
  • skeorpio
    Options
    Thank you for your support! Looks as if you've been doing very well w/ your goals:smile:
  • skeorpio
    Options
    Yes, I do need to work on the breakfasts eating proteins...the most I've been able to get down is yogurt. I'm going to check into the recipe part of MFP. Thank you for your support!
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting smoking - stick with it - I am struggling with that so much and I know I need to pitch them. I am in awe of all of the people that have "kicked" the habit - Keep up the great work. I know I will do it too!!
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision. I, like you, started smoking at age 13. I stopped cold turkey on March 15, 2009. I went from smoking 2 packs a day to nothing -- how rough! I know you can do this, hang in there! The important thing to remember is to not substitute the smokes with food! I told myself I wouldn't do that, but here I am 30 pounds heavier. This is my third day here on MFP. It is very nice to meet you. Good luck on your journey!!:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh the joys of menopause! Everyone knows about the hot flashes, but nobody talks much about the disturbance in sleep patterns, concentration issues, skin and hair changes, and let's not talk about the mood swings, crying jags and overall craziness. Getting older is not what I envisioned, but I definitely don't like the alternative :) You've decided to focus and tackle the issues and I applaud you! I too am a smoker and need to quit, but I'm tackling this food addiction first. Nice work for going for them both at once. I wish you all the best on your journey!