Play the odds and live longer...

Options
I was thinking... You see some "apparently" good advice sometimes that can really be bad advice... Like: "Go ahead and have that ice-cream cone today. You could die in a car wreck tomorrow..." While it's true that you NEED to enjoy some of those little things in life, that doesn't mean it's a free license to OVER-enjoy them or enjoy them ALL the time. A lot of that type of advice doesn't make that point clear. It's like saying, "Go ahead and get/stay fat and enjoy junk food and relaxing. You only live once, you might as well enjoy it!"

Well, although it's true that you could possibly die in a car wreck tomorrow, it is MUCH more likely that you will die of a heart-attack or health related issue 10 to 20 years from now (rather than what should be 40 to 50 years)that could have been prevented by a practicing a healthy life-style NOW. As for me, I will have that occassional ice-cream cone and enjoy it. But I won't be having one every chance I get. I prefer to play the odds - and the odds are on healthy living.

56426.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Garbi4332
    Garbi4332 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was thinking... You see some "apparently" good advice sometimes that can really be bad advice... Like: "Go ahead and have that ice-cream cone today. You could die in a car wreck tomorrow..." While it's true that you NEED to enjoy some of those little things in life, that doesn't mean it's a free license to OVER-enjoy them or enjoy them ALL the time. A lot of that type of advice doesn't make that point clear. It's like saying, "Go ahead and get/stay fat and enjoy junk food and relaxing. You only live once, you might as well enjoy it!"

Well, although it's true that you could possibly die in a car wreck tomorrow, it is MUCH more likely that you will die of a heart-attack or health related issue 10 to 20 years from now (rather than what should be 40 to 50 years)that could have been prevented by a practicing a healthy life-style NOW. As for me, I will have that occassional ice-cream cone and enjoy it. But I won't be having one every chance I get. I prefer to play the odds - and the odds are on healthy living.

56426.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping that was a gambling endorsement - maybe if you play craps you HR increases, so you burn more calories....:wink:
  • Garbi4332
    Garbi4332 Posts: 4
    Options
    *L* Well... I like to play Craps, too... Don't know what that does for my life expectancy, but it sure doesn't help the money in my wallet last any longer...
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I was really hoping that was a gambling endorsement - maybe if you play craps you HR increases, so you burn more calories....:wink:
    :laugh: :laugh: