Substitute for coconut cream?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for substituting coconut cream? I've come across some healthy curry recipes that are high in protein, but the coconut cream sends the calorie count through the roof!

Something that still gives a thick texture but less calls??

Thanks! :)

Replies

• lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just a thought as I like to cook in the kitchen too. Why not try a natural yoghurt with coconut essence OR coconut shavings for that flavor?

And here's a different DIY approach from a reference I found tat may cut out less crap that you my find in store bought varieties:

Coconut cream can be made by simmering 1 part shredded coconut with one part water or milk until frothy,[1] then straining the mixture through a cheesecloth, squeezing out as much liquid as possible; this is coconut milk. The coconut milk is refrigerated and allowed to set. Coconut cream is the thick non-liquid part that separates and rises to the top of the coconut milk.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    You can buy light coconut milk. Not sure what the calorie difference is? I imagine the outcome is a little thinner but I have always found that you just get used to these changes if you stick with them and usually end up preferring the light option.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    You can buy light coconut milk. Not sure what the calorie difference is? I imagine the outcome is a little thinner but I have always found that you just get used to these changes if you stick with them and usually end up preferring the light option.

Just checked for you on MFP database - calories for 100ml serving of:

Coconut Cream = 219 calories
    Coconut Milk = 154 calories
    Light Coconut Milk = 73 calories

I have used light in a speedy lamb curry and find it perfectly acceptable. Give it a go, it definitely won't hurt and you might even like it :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Light coconut milk. Same idea as skimmed milk.

It's a little more runny than coconut cream, but just have a little more rice with it.

Or, if you bulk cook (I tend to make 6 servings at once to freeze or eat for the next few days), use one tin coconut cream and one tin of the light stuff.

Creme fraiche also works, but doesn't freeze as well.

Edited to add - you can always add a bit of flour into the mix (just a tiny bit!) to thicken it out a little if it comes out too runny. Although runny curry works well for Thai curry dishes.