Hello!!

Options
quara
quara Posts: 255 Member
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe make a few pals in the process! My name's Ashley, I'm 28 and living in Montreal, QC. I'm a graduate student getting near the end of my PhD in cancer genetics. I eat pretty well overall, but I have a tendancy to like my wine and dinners out! My main problem is that I can be good for months, tracking my calories and exercising and feeling good, but then something sets me off (usually a holiday or vacation where my eating habits aren't normal) and then I get hooked on sugar again. It's like a drug, I swear! By the time I get myself under control again, I can hardly fit into my pants. So I get back on it, lose ten pounds, and then three months later the cycle repeats itself.

I'm very lucky because I live right next to the YMCA and I can get a student discount... and Montreal is a very walk-able city so I walk to and from the lab each day, which is about 1.5-2 hours (and that's a minimum, if I go downtown or elsewhere I walk even more). So that keeps the worst weight off.

I'm recently married and ever since I started dating my boyfriend, now my husband, that's when I started having difficulties controlling what I ate.

So I hope to meet some new people, and that those new connections will keep me motivated to keep posting!

Have a great day!!

Ashley

Replies

• CplJT2105
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I can relate to your sugar addiction. That was one of my biggest problems with my weight. I actually think I went through withdrawal when I dropped my sugar intake. One good thing that I have found is that I can still have sweets but I have found my "trigger" point that makes me crave it again! I can also relate to the relationship weight gain all too well! I was not overweight before I got married. But I gained well over 80 lbs during my 12 year marriage. I hated myself and therefore I couldn't love my wife and you know where that went...... I lost those 80 lbs after my divorce and vowed to NEVER get that way again.... I met someone and guess what..... There I was, 50 lbs heavier and hating myself again...... I've come to the conclusion that marriage is unhealthy for me!! I've lost 26 lbs so far and am feeling very good about things. You can do it and this site is a HUGE help! Good luck and friend me for support if you'd like!