Exercise...much cheaper than therapy!

Options
"Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach." - Dr. George Sheehan

I found this quote today thumbing through my runners world magazine on the commute in to work (relax, I wasn't driving I was on the bus) and it really got me thinking. At my heaviest weight after my second child was one of the lowest points in my life. I had everything I ever dreamed I would want out of life; a great husband who I consider to be my partner in life, two healthy wonderful children, a fantastic job and a house we have made a loving home. Still I wasn't fufilled, something was nagging at me & to fill the void I ate. Oh did I eat.... but I never felt full. All I ever felt was guilty about what I had just eaten and disgusted with myself that I had let myself get to a place where I was so out of control. Not my normal type A behavior. I used to be an athlete in highschool I would think to myself, now I could barely walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. I didn't recognize myself when I looked in the mirror and I was depressed.

I got talked into doing a biggest loser challenge at work January of 2009. To sum it up in a sentence: It forever changed me. When I ate right and exercised I felt good about myself again for the first time in a long time. I felt in control and strong. Whatever void or emptiness I was trying to fill with food I found a much more rewarding fufillment from exercise. I was hooked! I was literally on the brink of going to my doctor to talk about anti-depressants before I began my healthy lifestyle changes. Boy am I glad I didn't. In life there is no magic pill for weight loss, happiness or anything really. Everything good comes as the result of hard work and dedication.

It will be two years next month since I began my "butterfly transformation" to get healthy. Reading this quote this morning reminded me that I have worked out so many things by just working out!

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Well said. :)
  • dustiemorris
    Options
    Something that Im still learning, your post helped me alot :happy:
  • baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love that quote! I can sympathize with your situation, believe me. I have 2 children ( my whole world) and a great hubby. I worked for 3 years in an office position where I gained 27lbs. (enough for a pregnancy, without the baby) So I went to the gym. Which made me feel horrible about myself. And to top it all off, I saw a girl that I worked with at my previous job ( a weightloss clinic) and she said to me "Wow, did you have a baby?" I said no. She then replied, "Oh, wow. I didn't even recognize you, you've really gained a lot of weight." As she was looking me up and down. Well needless to say she is a &^%$*. But beyond that, I didn't get inspired, I got depressed. And I knew I put weight on, it was obvious (27lbs is obvious) but I didn't realize how bad it looked I guess. I got married at that weight. And I absolutely hate my wedding pics. I was so depressed I would just eat. Which obviously didn't help things. I've tried dieting, lose 5lbs an quit. And then one night I was sitting at the computer, around 11pm and I just got inspired. I was simply done being overweight, and I wanted MY body back. So then I found this website. I'm not losing it fast, but I'm confident I'll keep it off. It's not longer a "diet" it's a lifestlye change.
  • triomomplus2
    Options
    I agree~thanks for the great post this morning!
  • mixmistress508
    Options
    Awesome post! And people need to hear what you said..."There is no magic pill for weight loss, happiness or anything really. Everything good comes as the result of hard work and dedication."

Hard work and dedication...that is the key. People need to stop looking for that quick fix and realize it can only be done if you are dedicated to doing it and you put forth 150%!

You rock! Awesome job on your journey. You look fantastic!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a coupld of quotes that I love from See Jane Run (its a store and they are online too www.seejanerun.com)

"Run with friends, it's cheaper than therapy"

My other favorites are:
    "I run for chocolate"
    "If you can run a mile you can run a marathon"