difference between treadmill and walking?

Options
2»

Replies

• denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone..im still so confused..lol
    i just did 22 min..just to test the numbers out..and my treadmill gave me 105 calories burned at a 3.5pace and no incline..mfp gave me 83 for walking 3.5. soo i'm gonna go with the treadmill.

i think after reading, its best to use the walking on this site as opposed to the treadmill, cause it doesnt tell u the pace.

i dont have an iphone or any gadgets to really determine my own personal calorie burn..although i want one..but the cheepiest calorie counter i found was 50 bucks.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor so... I walked .86 miles to the gym (uphill), got to the gym, walk/jogged a mile at 5.5 a mile for 2 min, and 4.0 for 2 min alternating for 13 min for my mile. Did the whole arm circut at the gym and some free weights to get rid of the bingo wings, then walked/jogged downhill home for another .86 miles. Total calories burned was 580 and I did it in 1:15. I wear a heart rate monitor so???

I've done the Jillian Michaels website and found that I think that they make the calories burned in exercise on the websites high. It's frustrating b/c you account for that burn and then, well you know. The scale doesn't move and you feel you're working hard. Last Christmas I asked/received a heart rate monitor and love it. I always know exactly what I burn.

Hang in there.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    denisec26...I think the lesson here is that just as everyone's body is different, so are the calculators! Someone who weighs 200 lbs. is going to burn more calories than someone who weighs 145 lbs. I don't think any of the "calculators" are dead on accurate. If you find that you aren't losing or are gaining some of your weight back, don't eat all of your exercise calories. If you are losing consistently, then girl...you are doing something right!! It is a little frustrating when you think that you are burning more than the calculator tells you. I'd pick one calculator, rather than several, and go with what it says. Try it for a week or two and if you are losing weight...it works for you!!! It might not be right, but it is working!! :)