Getting frustrated

Options
I rejoined MFP on July 21 and decided to trust MFP with the calorie goals and really stick to it. I am 100% committed, and instead of trying to eat paleo, or eat clean, etc., I decided to try and change my habits slowly, so for right now just focusing on calories in/calories out. I also started doing PiYo 6 days/week. I am currently in my 3rd week of that.

The reason why I'm frustrated is that since July 21, I've lost a grand total of 3 pounds (it says 6, but really that first 3 was water weight from a binge before I started). Normally, when I start a program, I lose very quickly.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm finally doing everything right and my body is not cooperating! My husband says he can tell that the PiYo is changing my body and I do feel like maybe it is a little bit, but I weigh over 200 pounds, so it's not like I'm just building muscle. I know some people can change their measurements a lot but not their weight on the scale, but those people tend to be closer to their goal weight than mine. I still shouldn't weigh 213!!

My diary is open. I weigh absolutely everything, down to the tiny amounts of condiments, etc. so I know I'm not accidentally eating more than my diary says. I have had one cheat meal and that is it.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    so in 2 weeks you've seen a 3 lb loss? i dont see a problem, thats a good rate to lose. be patient

plus 2 weeks into a diet isnt usually enough to see a noticeable change (though you have, so be happy), just give it time
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    so in 2 weeks you've seen a 3 lb loss? i dont see a problem, thats a good rate to lose. be patient

plus 2 weeks into a diet isnt usually enough to see a noticeable change (though you have, so be happy), just give it time

I guess I'm just frustrated because I usually lose very quickly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This...doing it differently means accepting that a slower rate of loss is more sustainable.

my average loss through my 50lbs was 3/4lb a week...I was good with that as this is a life long thing..not a quick fix.
  • Allegi32
    Options

This...doing it differently means accepting that a slower rate of loss is more sustainable.

my average loss through my 50lbs was 3/4lb a week...I was good with that as this is a life long thing..not a quick fix.

Thank you...that makes sense, I guess I'm back here because when I lost quickly I wasn't doing it the right way.
  • Srp3p
    Srp3p Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat. I usually drop a lot of weight right away by going paleo and not much else. However, I always fall of that train and gain it back. This time, I have been trying to eat a "normal" diet and track each thing to stay in my calorie range. I also joined a gym and go every other day religiously. I am at 32 days of this, and I have only lost about 3lbs. That being said, I have been told, while losing weight this slowly can be frustrating, that it is really the best way to lose it and keep it off. I would keep doing what you are doing for another month and then see how you feel. While I am far from my goal weight, myself and my boyfriend have already noticed changes (positive ones) in my body from the exercise and weight training. I also doubt I have added on muscle to the point that I am not noticing myself lose fat weight, if you will, but if my body is getting stronger, and the muscles are toning up, then surely continuing on this path to health is the right way to go!

Stick with it! We are all cheering for you.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. In the past, if you've had huge losses right away, you probably weren't doing it right. You're losing 1 1/2 lbs per week, which is a rate of loss that's going to help you keep it off for good once it's gone. Hang in there.
  • mrsmiam
    mrsmiam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congratulations! 3lb since July 21 is a great pace! And not slow at all. It just seems slow because you are doing it right instead of starting a crazy diet cold turkey.
    Way to go!:)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above...you're making a lifestyle change, not doing a "quick fix fad diet"

You're doing fine. Keep it up!
  • Allegi32
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I guess I needed a little dose of reality, I appreciate it! I'm not giving up, I feel very different this time around, maybe because I'm not being so psycho with "good foods" and "bad foods," but just eating whatever and making sure I'm under my calorie goal.

I'll try to look at the bigger picture and not focus on the short-term stuff.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    What does this?
    I decided to try and change my habits slowly, so for right now just focusing on calories in/calories out.

have to do with weight loss???NOTHING. That's the way to do it, focus on habit changes, it doesn't happen over night. As others have mentioned and yourself, you have a false sense of reality. Focus on your habits and improving them.

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused as to what you mean. How does focusing on calories in/out have nothing to do with weight loss?
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Maine... when I first started it was almost a month before I saw ANY real weight loss.... and the frustration level almost did me in. We all know it takes time, but it doesn't stop the mind games that can play havoc on ya when we don't see the results of our hard work. Fortunately a group I joined talked me off the ledge (so to speak LOL).. and someone (I can't remember who but am still very thankful they did) posted a reply reminding me our bodies are not linear and don't respond at our command lol... but it will eventually figure out you're doing all the right things and it WILL happen. I still keep that in mind when frustration rears its ugly head now and then.... and shift my focus to making good choices and moving my parts til the "woosh" factor happens and the pounds start dropping again. It's okay to be frustrated.....just don't let it sideline all the hard work you're putting into reaching your goal :bigsmile:
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I know the feeling. When I "started over" recently (reset my counter, reset my goals, changed my mindeset, etc.), I was expecting the pounds to just fall off. That normally happens when I "start over." Unfortunately, that just isn't happening this time around. But I am losing - about a pound a week, give or take. That's what I have to cling to - that, and the fact that I'm doing it right. The pounds will come off. You just have to stay at it!

Your progress so far is awesome. Keep it up! :)
  • Pretendplaid4
    Pretendplaid4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes, i agree. I've lost 66lbs...and it's taken 11 months. The slower the better. You change your habits, commit to a routine you can stick to, and you'll keep it off long term. Even though my MFP says i'll lose 2 lbs a week, and i met or went under my calories goals, i still don't lose 2 lbs a week, but it's ok, because at least it's still going down!!!

I'm now at 179...and an seeing even slower weight loss! Just remind yourself to not give up. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You're doing great! Patience is key - but losing 3 pounds in 2 weeks is absolutely fantastic. I got frustrated at first too, but then someone pointed out that I gained weight over a series of YEARS. That's really slow. Losing a pound or two a week is fast by comparison. You've got this!
  • Allegi32
    Options
    It definitely helps to hear others' experiences with this, I really appreciate everyone for sharing!!! It's extremely helpful and keeps me going. :)

I do have a followup question for those that don't lose regularly: That 3 lbs. was all at once (I know it wasn't really, but that's how the scale registered it). So for the first week and a half, it didn't show any loss at all, which was odd, but I chalked it up to my exercise and retaining water. And then boom, overnight, 3 lbs. gone. And then for the next week, again, no change. I'm the same as I was a week and a half ago. I guess that's why it's frustrating, because it's not steady, and so far I've only seen one loss. Have any of you experienced the weight loss like that, i.e. not a regular amount per week, but in random chunks?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It may seem random because you have a limited # of data points.

Personally I weigh in every day. I know the # on the scale does not define me - its just part of my morning routine. And my scale syncs by wifi. I've stopped paying it too much attention at all but in the past from daily tracking I learned my body tends to maintain/gain from the start of my period and until ~10 days or so go by. Then seems to drop alot in the next week or two. Its just the water weight coming on and then going off. Different women see a different fluctuation from their period, maybe before, during or after. Everyone is unique. Sodium also plays a part. For me to have a high sodium weekend AND start my period: I know the scale will jump up 3-4 pounds. Generally I look to the next 5 pound marker. Such as starting at 178.5, looked forward to 175. Then when I got there, looked forward to 170 and so on. Now I'm looking for 138.5 as that will make an official 40 pounds lost. I was 139.5 yesterday, 140.1 today. I've been in the 139.3-141 range for a couple weeks now so its just a matter of time.

It can be tough to get into this mindset, but find a way to trust the science. If you're routinely weighing everything you eat, logging 100% accurately and honestly, making an effort to move more: you will lose weight over time. I know its hard to look 4-6 weeks out but when you start to get frustrated about lack of scale movement, that is really what you must do. Give yourself a 6 week deadline. If after 6 weeks its still not moving then reassess and see what you could/should do differently.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps to hear others' experiences with this, I really appreciate everyone for sharing!!! It's extremely helpful and keeps me going. :)

I do have a followup question for those that don't lose regularly: That 3 lbs. was all at once (I know it wasn't really, but that's how the scale registered it). So for the first week and a half, it didn't show any loss at all, which was odd, but I chalked it up to my exercise and retaining water. And then boom, overnight, 3 lbs. gone. And then for the next week, again, no change. I'm the same as I was a week and a half ago. I guess that's why it's frustrating, because it's not steady, and so far I've only seen one loss. Have any of you experienced the weight loss like that, i.e. not a regular amount per week, but in random chunks?

It might also be your scale. I have a digital scale with one decimal point, but I've never seen it say anything but "___.0" or "___.5" so I'm thinking it's not really accurate past the full pound. So I will stay the same for two weeks and then all of a sudden a full pound down. I don't know the technical biology-related specifics of how exactly your body gets rid of lost weight, so I don't know if there could be other reasons!
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I've hit a plateau for the past little while even on my cheat days sticking at a deficit calories. It's tough, but 3 pounds is great! Keep on keepin' on.
  • jptrgrl1111
    jptrgrl1111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was losing the exact same way you are doing the same type of dieting. Losing nothing for 2 weeks at a time then bam, 4 lbs overnight. I did that for 3 cycles and it drove me crazy! I switched to lean proteins & green veggies and started losing more consistently which helped my mental state to stick to it way more. Honestly though, averaged out the weight loss is pretty close to the same. I'm losing about an xtra 1/2-1lb weekly with the protein & veggies, not THAT big of a difference overall but watching the scale move consistently helps me. I feel your pain! Keep it up though! You are doing it and that's what ultimately counts!