Muscle Soreness

Options
I went to the gym for the first time in a long time on Monday and participated in a strength class (working everything). I was so sore yesterday (Tuesday) that I decided just to do a 2 mile walk. Today, I am still sore. Do I do another walk or do I get back to a class and just work through the soreness/pain?

Replies

• Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I would go back and work through it, if it is just muscle soreness and you did not injure anything. Personally I think that it gets worse if you do not work out the next day. (I am sore all over today also)
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your muscles aren't used to that type of exercise, with time they will get stronger and the soreness will fade away. Try low fat chocolate milk for the soreness (I like trumoo), trust me it works wonders. Just fit it into your calorie macros.

Listen to your body, if you feel as if you're up to going back to the class, go for it. Just don't cause yourself injury, if you start to feel pain, STOP!!!! If you're not up to the class, definitely continue with the walking.
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    with me I am more sore the less I do... If I do a great workout and am sore the next day, I'll do an easier workout but the next day get right back to it... or I can barley move on day three, and four.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Keep going and drink lots of water! :)
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, stay in motion and work through the soreness. If the soreness turns into pain then stop and give it a rest. I know sometimes I feel much better if I go back and do the same workout that caused the soreness to begin with, otherwise maybe try something less rigorous but keep moving...being stationary will only make it worse, well at least for me it does.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, while some soreness is normal, you really could have just pushed yourself too hard since it's not a workout you're used to.
    In your position, I'd give myself another day and just do a walk or some other form of cardio to get myself moving, and revisit strength training tomorrow. It's not abnormal to be sore for 2-3 days after a workout. And make sure you're stretching!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Foam roller, ibuprofen, stretching, and keep it going.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Normal post work out soreness and stiffness will get better with time, but in the meantime, try doing an easy work-out on the second day to work out the kinks and soreness. Walking, swimming or a light aerobic or circuit class always makes me feel looser and less sore. I get very tight if I don't move. Stay hydrated since your body will need water to aid healing. Good luck!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

+1
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You'll be alright.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You'll be alright.

Maybe
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For me, it is always the second day after something new or more strenuous that is the worst. If it persists beyond the third day without diminishing, it definitely is time to back-off a bit.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
    Treatment
    The soreness usually disappears within about 72 hours after appearing. If treatment is desired, any measure that increases blood flow to the muscle, such as low-intensity activity, massage, hot baths, or a sauna visit may help somewhat.[18] Immersion in cool or icy water, an occasionally recommended remedy, was found to be ineffective in alleviating DOMS in one 2011 study,[26] but effective in another.[27]

Counterintuitively, continued exercise may temporarily suppress the soreness. Exercise increases pain thresholds and pain tolerance. This effect, called exercise-induced analgesia, is known to occur in endurance training (running, cycling, swimming), but little is known about whether it also occurs in resistance training. There are claims in the literature that exercising sore muscles appears to be the best way to reduce or eliminate the soreness, but this has not yet been systematically investigated.

Hot baths work great for me.
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    Drink lots of water and get potassium in your system (eat a banana or grapefruit) to aid in repairing muscles. Also, workout thru the pain - maybe not the very next day but a day or so later. A nice walk in between is good. Also, a hot bath with epsom salt.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    with me I am more sore the less I do... If I do a great workout and am sore the next day, I'll do an easier workout but the next day get right back to it... or I can barley move on day three, and four.
    **** And I do the same and make sure to drink plenty of water****
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Give your muscles time to rest and recover. The expression no pain no gain does not apply. Next time when you go to the gym maybe take it down a small notch and work your way up. I'd rather you go to the gym and get a good workout without much muscle soreness after than to work out super hard and be in pain for 4 days.

This comes from experience, when I started squatting again my muscles weren't used to it and it hurt all weekend. Means I need to slow down, practice my form and work my way back up again. Nothing wrong with that.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Treatment
    The soreness usually disappears within about 72 hours after appearing. If treatment is desired, any measure that increases blood flow to the muscle, such as low-intensity activity, massage, hot baths, or a sauna visit may help somewhat.[18] Immersion in cool or icy water, an occasionally recommended remedy, was found to be ineffective in alleviating DOMS in one 2011 study,[26] but effective in another.[27]

Counterintuitively, continued exercise may temporarily suppress the soreness. Exercise increases pain thresholds and pain tolerance. This effect, called exercise-induced analgesia, is known to occur in endurance training (running, cycling, swimming), but little is known about whether it also occurs in resistance training. There are claims in the literature that exercising sore muscles appears to be the best way to reduce or eliminate the soreness, but this has not yet been systematically investigated.

+1
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Treatment

+1

+:heart:
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I do everything but Ibuprofen.... I lift and otherwise exercise, and I'm making my muscles sore (=create inflammation) on purpose. I want them to be able to repair themselves, and NSAIDs will get in the way of the natural process. (This is for 'regular' soreness. Injury not included in this statement....)
    For me, the best way to minimize the side effects of training are sufficient vitamins and minerals (food and/or supplements), a light snack before training, a protein shake (glutamine and creatine added) and a banana right after. And water....so much water....
    Sleep. Plan a rest day and use it for REST, and not for guilt-cardio.... Otherwise, keep moving, it will get better!

Happy safe training!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Treatment

+1

+:heart:

+:wink: