How can I strengthen my immune system?

I get sick a lot. I have posted about this earlier and have some excellent responses thank you all this website is AWESOME

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can strengthen my immune system?

(probably go to bed earlier... it's now 12.17am in Sydney... I don't usually stay up this late but loving reading this forum)

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Honestly, weight loss and exercise (especially weight lifting) alone will help. Getting foods rich in vitamins and minerals can help. And based on your other thread, it may be beneficial to workout at home, :laugh:
  • Diva_79
    Diva_79 Posts: 66
    Honestly, weight loss and exercise (especially weight lifting) alone will help. Getting foods rich in vitamins and minerals can help. And based on your other thread, it may be beneficial to workout at home, :laugh:

I've already entered the contract for the gym :ohwell:

I'm thinking maybe I should go in there from now on wearing a facemask and gloves hahah whaddayareckon? lol
    :glasses:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    This is a REALLY good article on what you can do for sure to improve your immune system: http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.htm
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Sounds simple but wash your hands well and often
  • Diva_79
    Diva_79 Posts: 66
    This is a REALLY good article on what you can do for sure to improve your immune system: http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.htm

Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,900 Member
    Sounds simple but wash your hands well and often
    Actually that doesn't really boost your immune system. In truth, too much cleanliness reduces the body's exposure to create immunity to viruses and bacteria. People that over sanitize their homes in fear of getting sick or exposure to bacteria, usually will get sick easier when exposed to anything outside of the home.

My advice would be to get "dirty". The body is really amazing at creating antibodies, but it has to be exposed in order for it to happen (think vaccines here). Play in the dirt, don't always worry about washing your hands, etc.
    Personally myself, I haven't been sick in 4 years. My DD has had 3 years of perfect attendance and I really can't tell you the last time I had to put her to bed because of being sick. I KNOW she doesn't always wash her hands before she eats, picks food up off the floor in the house and is exposed daily to kids who are sick or ill (daycare and fitcare in the gym). I don't worry that much about it.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    I grew up with a weak immune system, caused by epilepsy and calcium deficiencies.
    My immune system was at its strongest when I went to fitness classes such as Body Attack and Boxercise etc.
    When I did things like that I didn't catch any illnesses at all and felt amazing. I'm struggliing hard to get back to that stage in my health again after 15 years of neglect, but that's what did it for me.
    Nowadays we have things like Zumba and Insane and T25 etc.