Help! Need recommendations for beating the salt craving!

Options
2»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney disease or are on a diuretic for blood pressure, excess salt won't hurt you so long as you drink water. You'll just pee it out.

That said, chips are calorie bombs.

Does toasted nori seaweed snacks work for you? Salty, crispy, low-cal, abundant trace minerals. Both Costco and Trader Joe's have house brands of toasted nori snacks.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am a former chip addict myself. :) The things I do: I do not BUY any snacks (except on rare occasions) and I eat a full dinner with lots of veggies/protien to fill me up. <--- I write this like it's easy but I know it is not. It's a transistion of weaning yourself off your "addiction". Start with not buying the food. If its not handy you are less likely to eat it. That's how I started.

A good switch is home popped popcorn with coconute oil or even pop it with some olive oil. Do not add salt or anything to it. OR I buy organic pre-popped popcorn as a treat.
  • SuthernKimby
    SuthernKimby Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like drinking Chic-Filet's Diet Lemonade to help with my salt cravings, although oddly enough it doesn't have any salt which is even better :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    MSG
    I hope you're joking. Right?
    MSG isn't the monster that media has made it to be. While a few people may have adverse reactions to it, general populations have and still use MSG daily with no adverse reactions.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    my salt craving is satisfied with these foods:

pickles
    fermented food (kimchi, sauerkraut)
    broth (veggie, beef, chicken, whatever)
    jerky

I'm not really HUNGRY, but I want the salt and find these lower calorie foods do the trick and then I don't have to eat chips or crackers to satisfy.
    And with this you get extra protein to boot without intaking a lot of calories. One of my favorite go toos.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    MSG

Nope, not at all
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    MSG
    MSG isn't the monster that media has made it to be. While a few people may have adverse reactions to it, general populations have and still use MSG daily with no adverse reactions.

IDEA Fitness member
    Say's you! Do some more research, MSG super stimulates "everyone's" healthy cells and destroys them. You may not notice the adverse affects or attribute them to MSG, or maybe you just got kicked in the head to many times. Not only is damage being done to healthy cells but it's also highly addictive. That's why most food manufacturers add it to everything they produce. Possibly why you're defending msg is because you're addicted also.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Bite the bullet for two of three weeks of eating food that tastes undersalted.. Your tastes will adjust and the a small amount of salt will taste "salty" and delicious again.

Also, I avoid using a lot of salt while cooking. I undersalt everything and then just sprinkle a tiny bit on top of my food. that way the little bit of salt actually touches my tongue and tastes like it's a lot more than it actually is.